Gopher Commit & MN State Champion Forward Nevers Joins Bucs
DES MOINES, IA - Des Moines affiliate forward and University of Minnesota commit Mason Nevers will join the Buccaneers for the remainder of the season.
Nevers is fresh off of captaining the Edina Hornets to a Minnesota High School State Championship at the Xcel Energy Center in Minnesota to begin March.
"He's proven himself as a top player in Minnesota High School hockey leading Edina to a State Championship," GM Tom Mannino said. "Mason plays with skill, compete and hockey sense. He brings leadership qualities and championship experience. We look forward to him impacting our lineup and welcome him to the Buccaneers' family."
Son of former Minnesota Gopher hockey and baseball player Tom Nevers, Mason is coming off of a tremendous senior season with the Hornets where in 24 games he tallied 17 goals and 32 assists for 49 points. He was also nominated for the Minnesota Mr. Hockey Award, which is given annually to the top high school player in the state. He was a three-year starter for perennial top tier Minnesota High School team Edina, where in those three seasons he accrued 46 goals and 82 assists for 128 points in 74 career games.
"I am thrilled to be a Buccaneer," Nevers said. "I am looking forward to helping the team push for the playoffs."
As a forward in the highly touted Upper Midwest High School Elite League, Nevers tucked home 22 goals and added 38 assists for 60 points in 42 games played over two seasons.
Nevers and his new Buccaneer teammates will take on Muskegon this weekend out at L.C. Walker Arena. Both games are available on the Buccaneer Broadcast Network of HockeyTV and MixLR.
Nevers will wear #27 for the Buccaneers and is eligible for the 2019 NHL Draft.
The Des Moines Buccaneers are a member of the United States Hockey League, the only Tier 1 Junior Hockey League in the United States. The Bucs have played in the USHL since 1980, winning four Clark Cups as playoff champions and four Anderson Cups as the team with the best regular season record.
2019-20 season tickets are on sale now. Reserve today! Call 515-278-BUCS to ask about advertising sponsorship, our Skybox Suite and ticket hospitality opportunities at Buccaneer Arena.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2019
- Dubuque Downs Madison 6-0 - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Steel Drop 4-3 Barn Burner Friday Night - Chicago Steel
- Stampede Rally Again, Earn Point in Omaha - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Muskegon Shuts Down Des Moines for 40 Minutes, Wins 4-2 at Home - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Storm Defeat Stars 4-2 at Viaero Center - Tri-City Storm
- Stars Fall 4-2 to Storm - Lincoln Stars
- Gopher Commit & MN State Champion Forward Nevers Joins Bucs - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Dalton Messina Commits to Ohio State - Youngstown Phantoms
- Gameday Preview: Storm Set for "Pack It in Purple" Game against Rival Lincoln - Tri-City Storm
- Weekend Primer: Saints Set for Two Eastern Conference Matchups - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- John Pagel Scholarship Unveiled - Green Bay Gamblers
- Gamblers Give Back with Upcoming Community Games - Green Bay Gamblers
- Preview - Stars at Tri-City Storm - Lincoln Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Des Moines Buccaneers Stories
- Goaltender Durham Commits to Brown University
- Gopher Commit & MN State Champion Forward Nevers Joins Bucs
- Bucs Acquire Gamblers Leading Scorer Perbix & Pick for Forward Meyer
- Two Bucs and One Affiliate Named to NHL Central Scouting's Midterm Rankings
- Des Moines Adds Forward Fafrak and Defenseman Starikov