Gomez Breaks Home Run Record in 7-0 Win
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - Moises Gomez broke the Stone Crabs' single-season home run record Friday, extending Charlotte's lead in the division with a 7-0 win over the St. Lucie Mets at Charlotte Sports Park.
The Stone Crabs' (75-58, 40-17) win ties the franchise record for second half wins, matching their 2017 mark of 40 victories. They now lead the FSL South by 4.5 games with 15 to go.
With Charlotte leading 5-0 in the bottom of the seventh, Gomez demolished a two-run home run to left at an exit velocity of 109 mph and estimated distance of 459 feet. Gomez passed the 2013 duo of Jeff Malm and Alejandro Segovia, who each hit 14 homers that season.
In a scoreless game in the bottom of the first, Jake Palomaki and Wander Franco both laced singles against Mets (67-55, 35-21) starter Joe Cavallaro (6-4), putting men at the corners with nobody out. Two batters later, Kaleo Johnson lifted a sacrifice fly to right to score Palomaki and give Charlotte a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added another run on a Michael Smith sacrifice fly in the fourth before putting together a larger rally in the sixth.
Leading 2-0, Gomez walked and Smith singled to put two men on. That's when Garrett Whitley dumped a single into left. Mets left fielder Wagner Lagrange misplayed the ball, allowing both runs to score to make it 4-0. After an error and a hit by pitch loaded the bases, a fifth run came in on a double play.
Charlotte starter Tommy Romero (11-4) spun five scoreless innings to earn his league-leading 11th win. Romero struck out six and surrendered just two hits and two walks.
Relievers Trey Cumbie and Alex Valverde each worked two scoreless innings to notch the Stone Crabs' 17th shutout of the season.
Charlotte will continue their Summer of Love celebration at 6 p.m. on Saturday. Masquerading as the "Charlotte Harbor Hippies," they'll send Tobias Myers (6-1, 2.51) to the hill, opposed by Tylor Megill (3-2, 3.51) of St. Lucie. Coverage begins at 5:45 p.m. on the Stone Crabs Baseball Network.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 16, 2019
- Four-Run Second Stifles 'Tugas against Cards, 6-2 - Daytona Tortugas
- Hammerheads Open Series with Bite, Beat Miracle - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Gomez Breaks Home Run Record in 7-0 Win - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Stone Crabs Blank Mets 7-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- Pearson And Bechtold Provide Offense In Loss - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Friday Game Postponed, Doubleheader on August 17th - Clearwater Threshers
- Rain, Heavy Winds Blow Away Beach Dogs-Fire Frogs Opener - Florida Fire Frogs
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Fri, Aug 16 vs St. Lucie - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Rainfall Suspends Tarpons and Blue Jays in 4th Inning - Tampa Tarpons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Stone Crabs Stories
- Minor League Baseball Cancels 2020 Season
- Jeff Smith Returns to Lead Stone Crabs Coaching Staff in 2020
- Stone Crabs to Participate in Minor League Baseball's 2020 Copa de la Diversion
- Stone Crabs Complete Best Season in Franchise History
- Tommy Romero Named FSL Pitcher of the Year