Generals Fall To Port Huron In Shootout
PORT HURON, MI - The Port Huron Icehawks proved to be too much for the Flint Generals Friday night as Icehawks forwards Nick Lindberg and Mikael Bedard both scored in a shootout to give the Icehawks a 3-2 win over the Flint Generals in preseason action at McMorran Arena.
The two teams traded goals in regulation. Port Huron's Cory Stillman started the scoring with a power play goal at 10:31 in the first period. The Generals would answer early in the second with a goal from Solomon McCann at 1:08. The game remained tied with both teams creating chances, until early in the third period when Nathan Ward scored at 2:43 to give the Generals the lead. Flint held onto the one-goal lead until late in the third, when Port Huron tied the game once again with a goal from Mike Kinnie at 16:30.
After a five minute overtime went scoreless, the game went to a shootout. Tomas Janak scored for Generals, while Tyler Howells and John Ronan both missed on their attempts. Port Huron's Nick Lindberg and Mikael Bedard both found the back of the net lifting Port Huron to a victory.
The two teams sparked the crowd with two fights, showing the rivalry is alive and well. The Generals' Craig Cescon and Port Huron's Mike Bray dropped the gloves and the Generals' Jozef Wagenhoffer squared off with Jason Kostadine.
The Generals will finish off preseason competition Saturday, October 10th with a home game against the Port Huron Icehawks at the Polar Palace in Lapeer. Opening faceoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
The Generals open the 2009-10 regular season on Friday, October 16 at home versus the Muskegon Lumberjacks. Single game tickets will be available Monday, at the Perani Arena Ticket Office, any Ticket Master location or by phone. For more information and the complete 2009-10 schedule, visit www.flintgenerals.com or call 810-744-0222.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from October 10, 2009
- Generals fly past IceHawks - Flint Generals
- Mallards, Harrison Edge Bloomington 1-0 in Preseason Opener in Decatur - Quad City Mallards
- Generals Fall To Port Huron In Shootout - Flint Generals
- K-Wings Make Roster Moves - IHL 2
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals