Freedom faces UVA to benefit KICKS Against Breast Cancer
BOYDS, Md. (April 3) - One week after playing in the WPS Inaugural Match, the Washington Freedom will face the University of Virginia in a feature match for KICKS Against Breast Cancer at the Maryland SoccerPlex at 7 p.m. on Saturday, April 4.
Having played in a match to benefit KICKS every year since 2001, the Freedom will face an opponent it should be familiar with as four players on Washington's roster played collegiately for the Cavaliers - midfielders Lori Lindsey and Sarah Huffman and defenders Becky Sauerbrunn and Alex Singer.
At this match the Freedom will wear pink uniforms, the lines on the field will be painted pink and a pink breast cancer awareness ribbon will be painted on the stadium hillside.
Tickets for this match are $10 each with proceeds going to the Claudia Mayer Cancer Resource Center at Howard County General Hospital, a division of Johns Hopkins Medicine, in Columbia, Md. The Claudia Mayer Cancer Resource Center is a leading edge wellness model, focused on helping women living with breast cancer and breast cancer survivors learn to cope with the psychological and physical side effects of this disease, including post-mastectomy scarring and prosthetics, hair loss, edema, exhaustion and other physical issues.
The Freedom will hold a dribble-thon as a follow-up event for KICKS Against Breast Cancer on Monday, April 6 at White Flint Mall in Rockville, Md. from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. KICKS Against Breast Cancer pins, scarves, hats and shirts will be available for purchase with the money raised, along with $5 from every Freedom ticket plan sold that day, going to benefit KICKS.
Washington Freedom 2009 Season Tickets are now on sale. To purchase your seat at the Maryland SoccerPlex visit www.washingtonfreedom.com or call Marc Dombek or Shantai Dixon at (202) 547-KICK.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from April 3, 2009
- Sky Blue FC Prepared for Opening Day - Sky Blue FC
- Breakers Open Season Sunday on FSC's WPS Game of the Week - Boston Breakers
- Freedom faces UVA to benefit KICKS Against Breast Cancer - magicJack
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent magicJack Stories
- Washington Freedom Announces Sonia Bompastor's Mutual Contract Termination
- Jim Gabarra Resigns as Head Coach of Washington Freedom
- Washington Freedom's 2010 WPS Playoff Run Ends with Overtime Goal
- Washington Freedom Travel to Face Philadelphia Independence in First Round of Playoffs
- Washington Freedom Defeat Atlanta Beat 1-0 To Advance To WPS Playoffs