Four Rapids Players to Train with Derby County
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Wednesday, November 28, 2012) - The Colorado Rapids announced on Wednesday that Andre Akpan, Tony Cascio, Chris Klute and MartÃ-n Rivero will train with English Football League Championship club Derby County from December 3-12. The four players will train at Derby, a 128-year-old club currently in the second tier of English soccer, under the direction of manager Nigel Clough.
"This is a great opportunity for these young players to continue their development and gain valuable experience overseas," said Rapids Technical Director Paul Bravo. "They will be able to train at a high level among very strong players, while gaining an understanding of how things work at one of the oldest and most storied soccer clubs in the world."
"Having come to the Rapids after spending three years at Derby County, I know that our players will learn a great deal training with players of that caliber and quality," said Rapids President Tim Hinchey. "Nigel Clough is a great manager, and somebody who has great respect for MLS and the Rapids, as he has visited us twice in the last two years. We're happy to continue the collaboration between our two clubs and look for even more in the years to come."
Rapids Technical Director Bravo and Head Coach Oscar Pareja will also have the opportunity to see the four players in person, as the pair will be in England from December 5-13 on a scouting trip, during which time they will also visit Derby County and Arsenal for meetings.
Akpan, Cascio, Klute and Rivero will begin training with Derby County on December 3, and will remain with the club through December 12 before returning to the United States. Derby is currently in 12th place in the Football League Championship with a 7-6-6 record after Tuesday's 1-1 draw with league-leading Cardiff City, but are just five points from 5th place.
Akpan, 24, is coming off his most successful season in a Rapids shirt, having scored a career high three goals in the 2012 season, his third with the club after playing for Harvard University. Rivero, 23, earned the honor of Rapids' Young Player of the Year after notching eight assists to go with two goals in 30 matches (all starts). Cascio, 22, enjoyed a promising rookie campaign, scoring three goals in 29 games (18 starts), while Klute, also 22, made his MLS debut in the Rapids' final regular season match after joining the club late in the season.
The Colorado Rapids recently ended their 2012 season and will open preseason camp in mid-January of 2013. For more information on the team, or to purchase Season Tickets for the 2013 season, call 303-825-GOAL or visit www.ColoradoRapids.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 28, 2012
- Marcelo Sarvas Playing in Third Title Game in Less than a Year - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Los Angeles Sports Teams Unite for Championship Trophy Display and Toy Drive - Los Angeles Galaxy
- FC Dallas to Send Record Number of Youth Teams to Dr Pepper Dallas Cup XXXIV - FC Dallas
- San Jose Earthquakes Decline Options for Five Players - San Jose Earthquakes
- Crew Exercises Options on Contracts of 10 Players - Columbus Crew SC
- Toronto FC Names Kevin Payne Club President and General Manager - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Youth Soccer Update - Real Salt Lake
- San Jose Earthquakes Announce 2013 Preseason Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake to Host 3rd-Annual Pro Combine at Arizona's Grande Sports World - Real Salt Lake
- Mayor Parker Proclaims Friday Dynamo Day - Houston Dynamo
- Josh Wolff Announces Retirement, Joins D.C. United's Coaching Staff - D.C. United
- Four Rapids Players to Train with Derby County - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers to Host Second-Annual Preseason Tournament at Jeld-Wen Field - Portland Timbers
- Jimmy Nielsen Named 2012 MLS Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS Announces 2012 Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year and Newcomer of the Year Awards - MLS
- Federico Higuaín Named MLS Newcomer of the Year - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Sign Striker Yannick Boli
- Rapids Defender Kortne Ford out 8-10 Weeks with Sprained MCL
- Colorado Rapids Sign 2018 MLS SuperDraft Selection Niki Jackson
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Striker Joe Mason on Loan from Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C.
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Midfielder Enzo Martinez from USL-Affiliate Charlotte Independence