Crew Exercises Options on Contracts of 10 Players
COLUMBUS - The Columbus Crew announced today that it has exercised the contract options on 10 players from its 2012 roster, while seven others were already under contract for next season, giving the club a roster that currently features 17 players.
The Crew picked-up the options of goalkeepers Andy Gruenebaum and Matt Lampson; defenders Eric Gehrig and Josh Williams, midfielders Bernardo Anor, Dilly Duka, Ethan Finlay and Kevan George; and forwards Justin Meram and Aaron Schoenfeld.
The Black & Gold simultaneously announced that it has declined the contract options of goalkeeper William Hesmer; defenders Rich Balchan, Julius James and Sebastian Miranda; midfielders Chris Birchall and Tony Tchani; and forward Tommy Heinemann.
"Offseason roster decisions are never easy, and this year is no different," said Crew Technical Director Brian Bliss. "While we've declined options on a number of players, we will continue conversations with some of those individuals to potentially return to the club. Further roster announcements will be made in the weeks ahead, and we're excited to build upon the successful core we developed throughout 2012."
Hesmer was an instrumental cog in the Crew lineup for six seasons en route to becoming the most prolific goalkeeper in club history. Acquired from Toronto FC in 2006 after being selected in the Expansion Draft, Hesmer proceeded to backstop the Crew to two Supporters' Shields, an Eastern Conference Championship and the 2008 MLS Cup. He currently holds several Crew goalkeeping records, including games played and started (130), wins (59), shots faced (623), saves (412) and shutouts (41). Hesmer was sidelined throughout 2012 after undergoing hip surgery in April.
"We want to thank William Hesmer for his six outstanding years of service in Columbus," said Crew President and General Manager Mark McCullers. "William has been a consummate professional during his time with the Crew and he helped this club achieve its highest honors during his tenure."
Birchall, Hesmer, James and Tchani are eligible for the MLS Re-Entry Process, which begins December 7. A full list of players eligible for the Re-Entry Process will be announced by MLS next week.
Defenders Danny O'Rourke and Carlos Mendes, as well as forward Emilio Renteria are out of contract. The Crew expects to extend offers to all three players. Forthcoming roster announcements will be made in the coming weeks.
The Crew's current roster follows:
Goalkeepers (2): Andy Gruenebaum, Matt Lampson
Defenders (3): Eric Gehrig, Chad Marshall, Josh Williams
Midfielders (6): Bernardo Anor, Dilly Duka, Ethan Finlay, Eddie Gaven, Kevan George, Milovan Mirosevic
Forwards (6): Jairo Arrieta, Federico HiguaÃ-n, Aaron Horton, Justin Meram, Aaron Schoenfeld, Ben Speas
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 28, 2012
- Marcelo Sarvas Playing in Third Title Game in Less than a Year - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Los Angeles Sports Teams Unite for Championship Trophy Display and Toy Drive - Los Angeles Galaxy
- FC Dallas to Send Record Number of Youth Teams to Dr Pepper Dallas Cup XXXIV - FC Dallas
- San Jose Earthquakes Decline Options for Five Players - San Jose Earthquakes
- Crew Exercises Options on Contracts of 10 Players - Columbus Crew SC
- Toronto FC Names Kevin Payne Club President and General Manager - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Youth Soccer Update - Real Salt Lake
- San Jose Earthquakes Announce 2013 Preseason Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake to Host 3rd-Annual Pro Combine at Arizona's Grande Sports World - Real Salt Lake
- Mayor Parker Proclaims Friday Dynamo Day - Houston Dynamo
- Josh Wolff Announces Retirement, Joins D.C. United's Coaching Staff - D.C. United
- Four Rapids Players to Train with Derby County - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers to Host Second-Annual Preseason Tournament at Jeld-Wen Field - Portland Timbers
- Jimmy Nielsen Named 2012 MLS Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS Announces 2012 Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year and Newcomer of the Year Awards - MLS
- Federico Higuaín Named MLS Newcomer of the Year - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Talen Energy Stadium to Take on the Philadelphia Union Today
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Alex Crognale Set to Go on Loan to United Soccer League Side Orange County SC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Montreal Impact Tomorrow for Crew SC's Home Opening Match
- Columbus Crew SC Rookie Goalkeeper Ben Lundgaard Joins USL Side Indy Eleven on Loan
- Graham "Skamzz" Ellix to Represent Columbus Crew SC at Inaugural eMLS Cup this April at PAX East in Boston