Fort Worth Drops Mallards 4-1 in Game One
NORTH RICHLAND HILLS, Texas (March 28, 2013) - Phil Fox scored twice, Nick Schneider piled up a goal and two assists and Eric Tallent provided the game winning goal and an assist as the host Fort Worth Brahmas defeated the Quad City Mallards 4-1 Thursday night in game one of the best-of-seven opening round of the Central Hockey League Ray Miron President's Cup playoffs.
The Brahmas scored twice in a minute and 18 seconds in the second period to turn a 1-0 deficit into a 2-1 lead. Fox's wrist shot from the high slot tied the game at 7:45 of the second. At 9:03 the Brahmas were on the power play when Tallent's drive from the left point gave Fort Worth the lead.
With just over five and a half minutes left in the third period, the Brahmas widened the gap to 3-1 with another power play goal. Fox provided vital breathing room for Fort Worth by scoring his second from the left wing circle. Schneider's awarded goal capped off the night for Brahmas with just 37 seconds left in the contest. After the Mallards removed goaltender John Murray in favor of an extra attacker, Schneider was pulled down by the Mallards' Patrik Levesque while shooting for the empty net and referee Kevin Curtis ruled that Levesque's infraction would have resulted in a penalty shot had there been a goaltender on the ice for the Mallards. Therefore, by rule, the Brahmas were awarded a fourth goal even though Schneider's bid missed the net.
Early on, the Mallards certainly had reason to hope the game would take different course, especially after Levesque swooped down the slot to give Quad City a 1-0 lead at 6:34 of the first period. However, the Brahmas would respond with four straight goals to grab the series lead.
The 2013 Road to the Cup presented by Rascals and Lensch, Toporowski & Associates- a financial advisory practice with Ameriprise Financial- continues when the Mallards and Brahmas meet in game two Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. The series shifts to the Quad Cities for game three next Wednesday evening, April 3 at 7:05 p.m. and game four next Friday night, April 5 at 7:05 p.m. Should a fifth game prove necessary, it will be played at the i wireless Center next Saturday night, April 6 at 7:05 p.m. If a sixth game is required, the series will move back to Fort Worth for that tilt on Tuesday night, April 9 at 7:00 p.m. If the series goes to a seventh game, the Brahmas would host the deciding contest on Wednesday, April 10 at 7:00 p.m. in Fort Worth.
Tickets for the Mallards' first round home games are now on sale. All first round playoff seats will be available for just $12 for adults and $9 for youth 12 and under. In addition, adult opening round tickets for fans who wear green to playoff games as part of the Mallards' "Green Out", will be available for just $10 at the i wireless Center ticket office.
Playoff tickets can be purchased in person at the i wireless Center ticket office, at Ticketmaster outlets, through www.ticketmaster.com or through Ticketmaster charge-by-phone toll free at 1-800-745-3000. The ticket office is open weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and on game days from 10:00 a.m. until the start of the second period.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 28, 2013
- Americans Drop Game 1 to Denver - Allen Americans
- Cutthroats Take Game One in Allen, 2-1 - Denver Cutthroats
- Robinson Gives Thunder Game 1 with Overtime Winner - Wichita Thunder
- Fort Worth Drops Mallards 4-1 in Game One - Quad City Mallards
- Sundogs Battle Thunder in Tight, 4-3 Overtime Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Allen Finishes Season on Top of Sher-Wood Coaches Poll - CHL
- Quad City's Mickey Lang Wins Oakley Three Stars Player of the Year - CHL
- Mallards' Lang Named Oakley CHL Three Stars Player of the Year - Quad City Mallards
- Brahmas Add Two Amateur Forwards - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavericks' F Kenton Miller Named CHL Rookie of the Month - Kansas City Mavericks
- Missouri's Kenton Miller Named 50/50 Central/CHL Rookie of the Month - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings