Fort Wayne's Thompson Named Sher-Wood Hockey/ECHL Player of the Week
February 13, 2018 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
PRINCETON, N.J. - Garrett Thompson of the Fort Wayne Komets has been selected as the Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Week for the week of Feb. 5-11.
Thompson scored two goals, added six assists and was a +8 last week helping the Komets to a 3-0-1 record.
The 27-year-old dished out a pair of assists in a 9-3 win against Wichita on Wednesday, tallied four points (2g-2a) in an 8-4 victory over the Thunder on Friday and picked up two assists in a 5-1 win at Quad City on Saturday.
A native of Traverse City, Michigan, Thompson is tied for fourth in the ECHL with 53 points (21g-32a) in 46 games this season.
Thompson has posted 129 points (52g-77a) in 146 career games with Fort Wayne while adding 30 points (13g-17a) in 104 career American Hockey League games with Binghamton and San Antonio.
Prior to turning pro, Thompson recorded 87 points (42g-45a) in 139 career games at Ferris State University.
On behalf of Garrett Thompson, a case of pucks will be donated to a Fort Wayne youth hockey organization by Sher-Wood Hockey, the exclusive puck supplier of the ECHL. Since beginning its sponsorship of the award in 2000-01, Sher-Wood Hockey has donated more than 37,000 pucks to youth hockey organizations in ECHL cities.
Runners Up: Joe Cox, Florida (3gp, 3g, 3a, 6 pts.) and Aaron Irving, Kalamazoo (4gp, 4g, 3a, 7 pts.).
Also Nominated: Brian Ward (Adirondack), Henrik Samuelsson (Idaho), Matt Rupert (Indy), Tristan King (Quad City), Connor Crisp (Toledo), Eric Drapluk (Tulsa), Ryan Walters (Utah) and Chris Langkow (Worcester).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 13, 2018
- Wichita Snaps Losing Skid in Cincy - Wichita Thunder
- Swamp Rabbits Fall to Gladiators 5-0 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cincinnati's Third Comeback Falls Short against Thunder - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Driedger Stands Tall as Beast Defeat Walleye - Brampton Beast
- Mayhem for the Swamp Rabbits as Gladiators Cruise to 5-0 Road Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Faragher Signs Tryout Agreement with AHL Stockton - Idaho Steelheads
- Monarchs Announce Multiple Transactions - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Transactions - February 13 - ECHL
- Mallards, Doland Jewelers Host Wedding on Ice Friday - Quad City Mallards
- Royals Acquire G Branden Komm from Manchester for Rights to D Adam Comrie - Reading Royals
- Kulbakov Recalled to AHL - Quad City Mallards
- Hughes, Simonelli Get AHL Calls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Komet Garrett Thompson ECHL Player of the Week - Fort Wayne Komets
- Fort Wayne's Thompson Named Sher-Wood Hockey/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Greenville and Atlanta Set for Battle in the Upstate - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Rush Swap Forwards with Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Wichita - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Colton White Reassigned to Binghamton - Adirondack Thunder
- Forward J.C. Beaudin Recalled to Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Komets Championship Hall of Fame Weekend Set - Fort Wayne Komets
- Ouellette Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Florida Everblades
- Florida's Ouellette Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Admirals Add Former Div. III National Champ Piacentini - Norfolk Admirals
- Danforth Heads Back to Rochester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Atlanta Trades for Skirving, Signs Two from Macon - Atlanta Gladiators
- Defenseman Anthony Calabrese Acquired from Worcester - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.