Fort Lauderdale CF Earns 2-2 Draw against South Georgia Tormenta FC
Fort Lauderdale CF earned a point in its third matchup this season against South Georgia Tormenta FC with a 2-2 draw. The match kicked off at 7:30 p.m. ET and aired live on ESPN+.
Pinpoint passing from both teams set the tone early on in the first half of the match. Playmaking from Noah Allen and 19-year-old debutant Romeo Beckham provided critical chances for the team to score in the early minutes. However, it would be a defensive play by Shaan Hundal with a pivotal interception from a mistimed pass in the midfield that would lead to streaking teammate Mitch Curry cutting infield and finding the back of the net at the 13-minute mark; Curry gave the home team the first lead of the night and boosted his team-leading goals tally to seven for the season.
Moments later, Tormenta FC's Marco Micaletto found enough space to deliver a pass to teammate Azaad Liadi, who converted the goal at the 22-minute mark of the match, equalizing the game at 1-1.
Before the first half concluded, Hundal fashioned a sideheel pass to George Acosta, who struck a ball that curled over the outstretched arms of Tormenta FC's goalkeeper, connecting with the top goalpost and dropping into the left of the net to reclaim the lead with a score of 2-1. This marked the second assist for the night for Hundal and the fourth goal of the season for Acosta.
In the second half, Fort Lauderdale withstood much of the match suppressing multiple bids from Tormenta FC to find a second goal. The captain of the team, Ethan Hardin, found himself in the penalty box on a handful of occasions, hindering any chance the visiting team may find to tie the game.
With only five minutes left in regulation, however, a spinning cross from Stefan Mueller connected with Micaletto, who struck a header that settled into the back of the net, sealing the final score of the match at 2-2.
Next up for Fort Lauderdale CF is a match on the road where the team will look to regain playoff footing as they battle against Greenville Triumph SC at Legacy Early College on Friday, Oct. 1 at 7 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League One message board...
United Soccer League One Stories from September 19, 2021
- Fort Lauderdale CF Earns 2-2 Draw against South Georgia Tormenta FC - Fort Lauderdale CF
- Tormenta FC Draws Even with Fort Lauderdale CF - South Georgia Tormenta FC
- Greenville Draws Tucson to Run Unbeaten Streak to Three - Greenville Triumph SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Lauderdale CF Stories
- Allen on League One Young Player of the Year Award: Ã¢ÂÂIt Means EverythingÃ¢ÂÂ
- Allen, Hundal Voted as Finalists for USL League One Young Player of the Year Award
- Shaan Hundal Named to USL League One All-League Second Team
- Fort Lauderdale CF Closes Season with 1-2 Win against Toronto FC II
- Fort Lauderdale CF to Close the Season on the Road against Toronto FC II on Friday