Forney Named ADT Defensive Player of the Week
While the Louisville Fire arena football team is at the top of the af2 in several offensive categories Fire defensive players are making their mark in the league this season. Fire FB/LB Demetrius Forney (60, 288) was named the ADT Defensive Player of the Week for week 4. Fire DS Justin Thomas won the award last week.
Forney, a product of Campbellsville University and Shawnee High School, led the way for the Fire (3-0) with 5 total tackles (4UA, 2A), one tackle for a 10-yard loss, and a sack for a loss of 10 yards. Forney also forced one fumble, which Fire OL/DL Vic Vrabel recovered in the end zone for a touchdown. In addition to Forneys forced fumble he recovered two fumbles, one of which came in the fourth quarter when he grabbed a loose ball off the net in the endzone, pushing the Fire's lead to 55-37.
Forney isnt the biggest guy on the field, but he plays defense with reckless abandon, commented Fire head coach Tommy Johnson. Whenever we need a big play time after time Forney is right their to make it for us.
Forney, who is in his third season, played all over the line in Saturdays 62-56 victory over Albany. The Fire was missing OL/DL Jonta Woodard, who was trying out for a Canadian Football League team, and Forney moved from linebacker to defensive end for a couple of series.
When we found out Jonta was going to be gone this game we asked Demetrius if he would step in on the line and he was up to the task, said coach Johnson. Demetrius is a team player and will do whatever it takes to help this team win.
Wichita quarterback Aaron Sparrow and Tulsa wide receiver/defensive back Bjorn Barre won Baby Ruth Real Deal Offensive Player of the Week and US Army Ironman of the week respectively.
Forney and the rest of the Fire will travel to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to take on the 3-0 Pioneers on Saturday night. All of the action can be heard on 1080-AM WKJK with Paul Wilman doing the play-by-play. The Fire will return home on May 15 for a rematch with the Albany Conquest at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are still available and can be purchased by calling (502) 368-0009 or visiting Ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 27, 2004
- Hawaiian Islanders game notes - Hawaiian Islanders
- Sparrow, Barre and Forney earn week four honors - af2
- Green Bay Blizzard game notes - Green Bay Blizzard
- Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz game notes - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Forney Named ADT Defensive Player of the Week - Louisville Fire
- Sparrow named offensive player of the week - Wichita Stealth
- Anderson Listed Fifth on ESPN.com Poll for Athletic Feats - Arkansas Diamonds
- Florida Firecats game notes - Florida Firecats
- Conquest game time changed for TV - Albany Firebirds
- Murray: Technique is key this week - Central Valley Coyotes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.