Former West Ham United F.C. Defender Vashon Neufville is Atletico Ottawa's First International Signing
Ottawa, ON - Today, Atlético Ottawa announced their first international signing with defender Vashon Neufville. The club welcomes the UK left-back who came up through the Chelsea and West Ham United academy system.
The 5-8, native of London, England can be described as a player who can blaze down the flank with speed to lend support to the attack, but also someone who is a sturdy defender. He joined West Ham United at the U14 level from Chelsea, signing his first professional contract at the club in July 2016 at 17-years old and won the U21 Premier League Cup while playing with their youth team. On 4 January 2019, Neufville moved on loan to Newport County where he made his professional debut in January 2019, in an FA Cup Third Round 2-1 win against Leicester City.
"We are delighted to finally announce Vashon as our player," said Club CEO Fernando Lopez. "He is a very disciplined player with a defensive/offensive profile that will cover long spaces close to the sidelines. He is talented at crossing balls, beating other players 1 vs 1, playing defense and I'm sure it won't be strange for us seeing him supporting the attack and scoring goals."
Neufville, 20, who began his career with Chelsea as an U11 in 2012 and represented England internationally at the U16 and U17. Won the U21 Premier League Cup while playing West Ham's youth team.
"I'm happy to be signing in Ottawa with Atlético Ottawa and am looking forward to playing in Canada," said Neufville. I can't wait to get started and let's have a great first season!"
Neufville is the ninth player to officially join Atlético Ottawa, joining previous signings Ben Fisk, Antoine Coupland, Malyk Hamilton, Ajay Khabra, Michel Djaozardy Ricky Gomes, Kunle Dada-Luke and Brandon John.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Premier League message board...
Canadian Premier League Stories from March 24, 2020
- FC Edmonton Adds Keven Aleman to 2020 CPL Roster - FC Edmonton
- Former West Ham United F.C. Defender Vashon Neufville is Atletico Ottawa's First International Signing - Atletico Ottawa
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atletico Ottawa Stories
- Midfielder Tevin Shaw Joins Atletico Ottawa
- Former West Ham United F.C. Defender Vashon Neufville is Atletico Ottawa's First International Signing
- Centre-Back Brandon John Added to Atletico Ottawa's Roster
- Atletico Ottawa Team Returns to Ottawa
- Atletico Ottawa Welcomes Canadian Kunle Dada-Luke