Force shutout Riptide
Lowell, Ma - June 19 - The Riptide faced a starting pitcher from the College World Series Finals for the second time in two nights, this time Megan Gibson. Riptide starter Jocelyn Forest was also a World Series star, from way back in 2002. For the second night in a row the Riptide were unable to score, only scratching out four hits to drop a 4-0 decision.
Both pitchers held the opponents scoreless for the first three innings. The Force got on the board with a run in the fourth on a lead off single by Kellie Wilkerson. Wilkerson scored two outs later on a double just over the head of left fielder Alex Sutton. The Force added two more in the fifth, again with Wilkerson doing the damage. This time it was a two out double scoring Ashley Smith who had singled and Clare Burnum who had walked.
The Force scored an insurance run in the seventh, again Wilkerson driving it with her third hit of the night to make the final 4-0.
The two teams continue the four game series on Friday and Saturday. Both games are at 7:05 at Martin Softball Field.
• Discuss this story on the National Pro Fastpitch message board...
National Pro Fastpitch Stories from June 19, 2008
- Suspect pitching to blame in Thunder loss - Rockford Thunder
- Force surf over the Riptide - Philadelphia Force
- Glory offense can't get going in loss - Washington Glory
- Force shutout Riptide - New England Riptide
- Battle of the Bats update - NPF
- Taryne Mowatt, Callista Balko & Cambria Miranda Make Their Glory Debut - Washington Glory
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.