FC Gold Pride Set Sights on WPS Regular Season Championship
Hayward, CA (Aug. 13, 2010) - FC Gold Pride, already playoff bound, has set their sights on the WPS Regular Season Championship as they move into the last quarter of the season. The first-place Pride look to add another tally to their win column this Saturday against Abby Wambach and the visiting Washington Freedom after playing to a 0-0 tie in their last two matches.
With a 12-3-3 record, the Pride was the first team in WPS to clinch a playoff berth in 2010 and has already secured a home game for the postseason .
Saturday's match between the Pride and Freedom, will mark the fourth and final time the two teams will face off during the regular season. The Pride owns the season series with a 2-0-1 record against the Freedom, outscoring the Washington D.C. team 8-4 in three matches. Saturday's game will feature WPS and international offensive titans Christine Sinclair (Canada/FC Gold Pride) and Abby Wambach (USA/Freedom) who have each eclipsed the century mark in goals and rank one-two in WPS in assists and are both in the top five amongst league leaders in goals.
The Pride recently reinforced its roster by adding Forward/Defender Niki Cross to the team earlier this week. The Pembroke, MA native has been a part of three WPS teams (FC Gold Pride, Saint Louis Athletica, Boston Breakers) so far this season, and is both excited and hopeful she will finish the year with the Pride.
Prior to the kickoff of Saturday's match the Pride will be joined by the Stanford Women's Soccer team, reigning PAC-10 Conference Champions and 2009 NCAA College Cup Finalists. The Pride will honor the accomplishments of the team as they prepare to embark on another successful season. Fans can meet the Cardinal team including offensive standout Christen Press, defensive star Rachel Quon and Bay Area native Teresa Noyola in the Pride's Fan Fest during pregame.
The Pride continues their run toward the WPS Regular Season Championship and 2010 Postseason this Saturday with kick off scheduled for at 7 PM PT at Pioneer Stadium on the campus of California State University East Bay.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from August 13, 2010
- Beat Travel to Philly - Atlanta Beat
- FC Gold Pride Set Sights on WPS Regular Season Championship - FC Gold Pride
- Chicago Red Stars Defender/Midfielder Vandenbergh Joins 1st-Team Roster - Chicago Red Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Gold Pride Stories
- FC Gold Pride Well Represented on FIFA's World Player of the Year and World Coach of the Year Shortl
- FC Gold Pride Lock in 11 for 2011
- WPS Champions Barnhart, Boxx, Buehler Named to USWNT Roster For World Cup Qualifiers
- FC Gold Pride Forward Marta Appointed as United Nations Goodwill Ambassador
- FC Gold Pride Mutually Terminates Contract of Camille Abily