Evansville at Drillers
BEAUMONT, TX -- The Beaumont Drillers (7-6) wrap-up their regular season schedule with a home date with the Evansville BlueCats (4-9) on Saturday with a kickoff time set for 7:35 p.m. inside the "OIL PALACE", a.k.a. Beaumont Civic Center.
Tickets are available at the Civic Center Box Office and at all Ticketmaster locations.
The Drillers can enter the playoffs as the number 6 seed in the Atlantic Conference with a win over Evansville combined with Carolina beating Atlantic City, in Atlantic City on Saturday night.
**LAST TIME THEY MET**
March 29, 2003, Evansville, Indiana
Drillers 49, Evansville 29
Troy Sumrall rushed for 176 yards scoring 4 times and receiver Pat Palmer caught 7 passes for 118 yards and 3 scores to lead the Drillers.
- Avg. 42.4 points per game while giving up 54.
- 2-4 on the road, averaging 43.8 against 63.
- Defeated playoff bound Houma 51-49 on the road as well as Show Me, 88-84.
- Have lost 5 in a row, 6 of their last 7.
- Have used 5 different starting quarterbacks, and Brian Villaneuva will get the start. He is 11 of 22 for 139 yards with 2 TDs and 5 INTs for a rating of 95.83.
- Total offense ranks 10th, 239.1 ypg.
- 8th in rushing offense per game with 76.8 ypg.
- Running back Michael Cosey is 9th in the NIFL in scoring, 26 TDs.
- Cosey is 4th with 57 rushing ypg.
- WR John Gordon has 47 catches for 677 yards with 14 TDs while Byron Curtis adds 53 for 636 and 10 scores.
- Defense ranks 21st, allowing 257 ypg.
- Ranks 20th in turnovers, with -11.
- Rushing defense ranks last, allowing 96.2 ypg.
- Isaiah Grier leads the team in tackles with 77.0, ranks 12th.
**Drillers, inside the numbers**
- Avg. 53 while allowing 44.2 points.
- 4-2 inside the Civic Center this season, avg. 58.1 giving up 35.1 at home.
- Have lost two in a row.
- 5th in total offense gaining 252.1 ypg, 168.7 passing yards (7th), and 83.4 rushing yards per (5th).
- 8th in red-zone scoring, 73 for 94 at 77.7%.
- QB Marc Saldana ranks 10th in passing efficiency, 101.3, throwing for 1,723 yards with 38 TDs and 11 INTs going 151 for 267 (56.6%) in 12 games.
- WR Chad Luttrull ranks 9th with 5.08 receptions per game, and 8th with 58.5 receiving yards per contest.
- DJ Clay leads the team with 18.8 yards per kick return.
- Defense ranks 11th, allowing 211.0 yards per game, 9th in passing yards allowed with 140.5, and 15th in rushing yards allowed with 70.5.
- Red-zone defense is 16th, allowing teams to score 74% of the time (55 for 77).
- Troy Esprit is tied for 2nd with 8 INTs, and Randy Chappell has 6, good enough for 4th.
- Nick Mitchell and Eric Winchester are tied for 17th with 74 total tackles each, while Mitchell is 4th with tackles for a loss with 15.5.
Dorian Williams will start at nose-guard for T.J. Light, who is unavailable for the game (coach's decision). Roy Locks and Nick Mitchell will anchor the defensive end positions.
Head coach Bryan Blake says...
- "We've put our self in this hole. It doesn't feel good to have our playoff fate in another team's hands."
- "Myself, along with the players have a lot of pressure put on us for this game. We have to have this win."
- "Turnovers once again will be the key. Our losses have resulted in us turning over the ball numerous times."
- "We are going to establish the run early. Evansville struggles with stopping the run, and we want to exploit that which opens up the pass."
**Game Day Promotions**
- Fans of all ages are encouraged to arrive at the Civic Center early for the tailgate party hosted by Gusher and the gang. Tailgating begins at 1 p.m. in the Civic Center parking lot with food and more.
- Ticket buyers can enjoy a free concert featuring "9 Station Drive" at 5 p.m. inside the Civic Center.
- The 2003 NIFL Dance Team of the Year, the Evansville Lady BlueCats, will perform at halftime.
• Discuss this story on the National Indoor Football League message board...
National Indoor Football League Stories from July 2, 2004
- Evansville at Drillers - Beaumont Drillers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.