Elmore Sports Group to Relocate Short Season Baseball to Colorado
COLORADO SPRINGS, CO - The Elmore Sports Group today announced plans to relocate the Triple-A Colorado Springs Sky Sox to San Antonio, Texas for the 2019 season, and will move the Short Season Rookie-level Helena Brewers from Helena, Montana to Colorado Springs.
The rookie-level club will be members of the Pioneer Baseball League and will continue to play as the Colorado Springs Sky Sox at Security Service Field, where over the past 12 years, the Elmore Sports Group has committed over $10 million in capital improvements, including the installation of a new state-of-the-art HD video board and a new field lighting system.
"We are pleased to be able to continue providing affiliated professional baseball to the great city of Colorado Springs for many years to come as part of this transition," said Elmore Sports Group President D.G. Elmore. "The Pioneer Baseball League schedule is a much better fit for this climate here, as the schedule begins in June and runs into early September, a time where fewer games will be impacted by weather and fans will be able to enjoy the ballgames throughout the summer months."
The move is part of a realignment of several Elmore-owned clubs, which will also see the current Double-A San Antonio Missions club move to a new ballpark in Amarillo, Texas.
"For many years, it has become increasingly difficult to find a Major League Baseball team that is interested in Colorado Springs as a long-term home for their Triple-A club due to the weather and elevation, which make it hard to develop and evaluate players, particularly in the early spring months," said Elmore. "Moving a short season club to Colorado Springs is a perfect fit, as we have tremendous fan support, particularly during those summer months, a beautiful ballpark that will be among the finest in the Pioneer Baseball League and a solution that is beneficial for Minor League Baseball and Major League Baseball."
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 21, 2017
- Elmore Sports Group to Relocate Short Season Baseball to Colorado - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Tacoma defetas Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds End Homestand with Walk-Off Homer - Nashville Sounds
- Express Routed by Redbirds in Finale - Round Rock Express
- Aces Win Series vs. Las Vegas, Fall in Finale - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Springs Sky Sox Stories
- Dodgers Force Sky Sox to Monday Division Decision
- Sky Sox Saturday Night Games Postponed Due to Heavy Rain
- Sky Sox One Win Shy of Clinching American North Division
- Sky Sox Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Tomorrow
- Sky Sox Catcher Christian Bethancourt Named to All-PCL Team