D'ORIO, SEA DOGS END SEVEN-GAME SKID WITH VICTORY OVER REMPARTS.
SAINT JOHN - Alex D'Orio made 44 saves and Anthony Boucher scored twice as the Saint John Sea Dogs snapped a seven-game losing streak with a 4-1 victory over the Quebec Remparts, Saturday at Harbour Station.
Ostap Safin and Robbie Burt also scored for Saint John (12-25-6-2). Radim Salda added three assists while Cedric Pare chipped in with two helpers. Pascal Laberge had the only goal for Quebec (25-17-3-2), which saw its two-game win streak come to an end.
The Remparts enjoyed the only three power plays of the opening period and scored on their third opportunity, which came in the final minute. Philipp Kurashev gained the Sea Dogs' zone on the left wing and whipped a pass across the ice to Laberge. The Philadelphia Flyers' prospect whistled a heavy wrist shot over the blocker of D'Orio. Saint John tied the game four-and-a-half minutes into the second.
After William Poirier gained the Quebec blueline on the left wing, Salda grabbed the puck and sent a pass across to Boucher in the right circle. The 19-year-old forward snapped a quick wrister past the blocker of a of sprawling Dereck Baribeau in the Remparts' goal. The Sea Dogs took the lead on the power play nearly five minutes later. Salda fed a pass from the middle of the blueline to Pare on the left wing. He saw Safin in the right circle, and the Edmonton Oilers' prospect whistled a wrist shot past Baribeau. Boucher struck again 45 seconds later.
A Quebec defender stumbled inside the blueline, creating a 3-on-1 for Saint John. Pare threw a pass from the left side to Boucher on the right side of the slot for a snap shot that got past Baribeau's blocker.
Saint John scored the only goal in the third period, a shorthanded marker with seven-and-a-half minutes to go.
Burt and Safin combined to knock a Remparts' defenceman off the puck in the neutral zone, and Burt raced in alone. The 18-year-old forward deked to his right and lifted the puck past Baribeau's blocker to make it a 4-1 game.
D'Orio turned aside twenty shots in the third period alone. His 44-save performance made him first star. Baribeau took the loss with 22 stops. Boucher was named second star with two goals while Salda snared third star with three assists in front of 4,799 fans in attendance.
Saint John's next game is Friday, January 26th, at 7 p.m. against the Acadie-Bathurst Titan at the KC Irving Regional Centre.
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2018
- D'ORIO, SEA DOGS END SEVEN-GAME SKID WITH VICTORY OVER REMPARTS. - Saint John Sea Dogs
- Wildcats Top Eagles 6-2 Saturday in Moncton - Cape Breton Screaming Eagles
- Screaming Eagles Clipped in Overtime Thriller in Halifax - Cape Breton Screaming Eagles
- TITAN VICTORY OVER SEA DOGS - Saint John Sea Dogs
- Screaming Eagles Name Declan Smith Alternate Captain - Cape Breton Screaming Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saint John Sea Dogs Stories
- You're Invited - Sea Dogs Hall of Fame Induction of Jonathan Huberdeau
- April Update: Humboldt Broncos; Radim Salda NHL Draft; Sea Dogs Alumni Break Record
- In Support of the Humboldt Broncos
- Sea Dogs Awarded Second Overall Pick in 2018 QMJHL Entry Draf
- Salda Named to QMJHL Rookie All-Star Team