Diaz Comes Up Big In Redhawks' Rout Of Portland
OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. - Victor Diaz was 5-for-5 with a grand slam, a solo homer and six RBIs, Nelson Cruz added another grand slam and Adam Fox hit a three-run homer as the Oklahoma RedHawks routed the Portland Beavers 15-4 Thursday night at AT&T Bricktown Ballpark.
Oklahoma (53-50) has won three straight over the Beavers (42-64) to open the four-game series and has not lost to Portland at home since Aug. 11, 2004.
The Beavers, meanwhile, have lost their last seven games away from PGE Park and have lost 10 of their last 11 overall. Thursday's loss marked the largest margin of defeat on the season for the Beavers, who also matched a season high for runs allowed.
Eric Hurley (2-3), the No. 2-ranked prospect in the Texas Rangers organization, struck out six and gave up two runs and two hits in five innings to pick up the win.
Peter Ciofrone and Yordany Ramirez each homered for the Beavers, who took a short-lived lead in the first on an RBI single from Hiram Bocachica, but Diaz' grand slam in the bottom of the inning set the RedHawks' offense in motion.
Fox' three-run blast lofted the RedHawks to a six-run lead in the second inning, Diaz hit a solo homer in the third and Cruz added a grand slam in the fourth as Oklahoma took a 12-1 lead.
Steve Watkins (2-3), making his fourth start for the Beavers, gave up three of the home runs, eight runs total and eight hits over three innings in the loss.
The Beavers conclude their series with the RedHawks Friday night at 5:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: The Beavers have allowed five grand slams this year ... reliever Kyle Stutes gave up Cruz' grand slam and five runs total in his first appearance since rejoining the team from Class AA San Antonio on Wednesday ... Portland's last road win was July 15 at Sacramento ... Ramirez' two-run homer in the seventh was his first at the Triple-A level.
Beavers Game File
THURSDAY'S GAME: Oklahoma 15, Beavers 4
WINNING PITCHER: Hurley (2-3)
LOSING PITCHER: Watkins (2-3)
HOME RUNS: Ciofrone (2), Ramirez (1), Diaz 2 (6), Fox (2), Cruz (15)
FRIDAY'S GAME: Portland (Mike Thompson: 2-9, 6.92) at Oklahoma (Mike Wood: 8-2, 2.95), 5:05 p.m. (Pacific); live broadcast on KKAD AM-1550 and www.portlandbeavers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 26, 2007
- Sidewinders Break Up No-Hit Bid In Victory - Tucson Sidewinders
- RedHawks slam Beavers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Three Redbirds pitchers combine for one-hitter - Memphis Redbirds
- Nelson Lead Sounds Past Grizzlies - Nashville Sounds
- Diaz Comes Up Big In Redhawks' Rout Of Portland - Portland Beavers
- Zephyrs Win a Close One - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Good Seats Still Available for Echoiing Angels Concert - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Royals Game Notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss