Details Revealed for CHL Import Draft
The Brandon Wheat Kings will be the 10th WHL team to make a selection at next month's CHL Import Draft.
The 2021 CHL Import Draft will be held on June 30th, and the full CHL order of selection will be released closer to that day.
The Wheat Kings currently have two import players on the roster, in Marcus Kallionkieli and Yaroslav Busygin. Kallionkieli is entering his overage season and spent 2020/2021 with the Henderson Silver Knights of the American Hockey League. The 5th round pick of the Vegas Golden Knights scored twice in six games for the Silver Knights and appeared in one AHL playoff game.
Meanwhile, Busygin is the 34th ranked European skater by NHL Central Scouting played in the top junior league in Russia (MHL) and posted two goals and nine assists in 35 games.
Once an NHL signed import player is returned to his junior team, that CHL club has 14-days to reduce their number of rostered import players to two.
Due to the unique schedule of games during the 2020-21 WHL Regular Season, a lottery was conducted to determine the order of selection for WHL Clubs in the 2021 CHL Import Draft. All 22 WHL Clubs participated and had equal opportunity to win the lottery.
Each team in the CHL is permitted to dress and play a maximum of two import players each season who are selected annually through the CHL Import Draft process. The deadline for teams to submit their Import player protected list for the 2021-22 season is Monday, June 28 at 1 p.m. ET, which will then determine how many of the maximum 120 selections will be made in the 2021 CHL Import Draft.
The complete order of selection for the 2021 CHL Import Draft, including Clubs from the Ontario Hockey League and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, will be released at a later date by the CHL.
WHL Clubs Order of the Selection - 2021 CHL Import Draft
Swift Current Broncos
Red Deer Rebels
Prince George Cougars
Brandon Wheat Kings
Edmonton Oil Kings
Moose Jaw Warriors
Prince Albert Raiders
Medicine Hat Tigers
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from June 11, 2021
- Silvertips Win First WHL Pick in Lottery for the 2021 CHL Import Draft - Everett Silvertips
- Tigers Deal Agyeman - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winnipeg ICE to be the 21st WHL Team to Select in the 2021 CHL Import Draft - Winnipeg Ice
- Royals Acquire Defenceman Agyeman from Medicine Hat - Victoria Royals
- Prince George Cougars Alumni Million Dollar Hole-In-One Golf Charity Golf Tournament is Back - Prince George Cougars
- Broncos to Pick Second Amongst WHL Teams in 2021 CHL Import Draft - Swift Current Broncos
- Portland to Select Ninth Among WHL Clubs at CHL Import Draft - Portland Winterhawks
- Details Revealed for CHL Import Draft - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Americans to Select 20th Amongst WHL Teams in 2021 CHL Import Draft - Tri-City Americans
- WHL Announces Results of Lottery to Determine WHL Order of Selection for 2021 CHL Import Draft - WHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.