Destroyers Drop Road Contest in Baltimore, 50-12
BALTIMORE, MD - The Columbus Destroyers, presented by GermainCars.com, fell to the Baltimore Brigade at Royal Farms Arena on Friday night, 50-12. With the loss, the Destroyers drop to 1-9 on the season. Quarterback Grant Russell threw for two touchdowns in the loss, with both of those going to wide receivers Fabian Guerra and Rob Wheelwright. Wheelwright, a Columbus native, made his Destroyers debut in tonight's game. recovering and returning it 46 yards for a touchdown to give Baltimore an early 7-0 lead.
Later in the second quarter, the Brigade extended their lead to 14-0 when quarterback Shane Boyd found wide receiver Milton Williams for a 14-yard score. Columbus got on the board on the next drive when Russell connected with Guerra for a 31-yard touchdown, trimming Baltimore's lead to 14-6. After a sack from defensive end Khreem Smith on fourth down gave the ball back to the Destroyers, Russell found Wheelwright for his first professional touchdown. Columbus missed the two-point conversion, making the score, 14-12. Brigade defensive back Joe Powell returned the ensuing kickoff 57 yards for a score to give Baltimore a 21-12 lead at the half.
In the third quarter, Boyd found wide receiver Joe Hills for a 24-yard touchdown to extend the Baltimore lead to 27-12. On the ensuing kick-off, defensive back LaRico Stevenson fumbled into the end zone where it was recovered by a Destroyers player but resulted in a safety to make the score 29-12 in favor of the Brigade. A couple possessions later, Baltimore defensive back Josh Victorian picked off Russell and returned it 36 yards for a touchdown to give the Brigade their largest lead of the game, 36-12.
The Brigade tacked one two more scores in the fourth quarter, as wide receiver Brandon Collins rushed for a one-yard score and back-up quarterback Shane Morris found Hills for his second touchdown of the game, sealing a 50-12 home win for Baltimore.
Next up for the Destroyers after next week's bye is a home match-up with the Albany Empire on Sunday, July 14th at 3:00pm from Nationwide Arena. The game can be seen live on WSYX 6.2, heard on CD102.5, and streamed on ESPN3.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from June 28, 2019
- Brigade Score 36 Unanswered Points to Defeat the Destroyers 50-12 - Baltimore Brigade
- Destroyers Drop Road Contest in Baltimore, 50-12 - Columbus Destroyers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Destroyers Stories
- Destroyers Announce Two Open Tryouts to be Held at Bo Jackson's Elite Sports in Columbus and Chicago
- Defensive Back Brandon Stephens Named Arena Football League's Al Lucas Hero Award Winner
- Wide Receiver Fabian Guerra Named Arena Football League's Co-Rookie of the Year
- Arena Football League Announces 2019 All-Arena Selections
- Valiant Effort by Destroyers Falls Just Short in Season Finale Loss to Valor, 56-50