Denver Cutthroats Come Back to Sweep Quad City Mallards
Denver - The Denver Cutthroats and Quad City Mallards battled for the final game in their 2013-14 regular season series. The Cutthroats came back to tie the game in the last seconds and defeat the Mallards in a shootout 6-5.
The Quad City Mallards took an early lead with two goals in the opening period. Gabriel Levesque (Nicholas Rioux, Michael Monfredo) fired a shot between the Cutthroats posts off the power play. Mike Stinziani (Justin Fox, Rioux) scored Quad City's second goal to give the Mallards a 2-0 lead.
The playing field evened out in the second frame when Denver's Cam Reid (Lee Moffie) scored to cut the deficit by one. Quad City was determined to keep a two-point lead as Michael Monfredo (Stinziani, Nick Grasso) slapped one into the net. The Cutthroats struck back with a goal by Vincent Arseneau (J.P. Chabot, Troy Schwab) and soon after tied the game with a put-back by Daniel Amesbury (Jason Cohen, Reid) to close the period out 3-3.
The third period scoring was started by Quad City as Thomas Frazee (Jeff Lee, Levesque) and Gergo Nagy each put a point on the board giving the Mallards a strong 5-3 lead. League scoring leader Garett Bembridge (Reid, Moffie) changed the momentum with a net bender to bring the Cutthroats within one. With the goalie pulled, Denver's Steve Kaunisto (Bembridge, Robin Soudek) tied the score at five with three seconds remaining to put the game into overtime.
After a scoreless overtime, the game headed into a five-round shootout. Denver's Garett Bembridge was the first shooter to take the ice as his shot lit up the red light and claimed the game-winning goal, giving the Cutthroats a 6-5 victory over the Quad City Mallards.
The Denver Cutthroats final home game in the 2013-14 season series will take place on Sunday, March 16 at the Denver Coliseum. All fans will receive a team photo at the door and can celebrate the season with the Cutthroats following Sunday night's game at Jake's Bar & Grill. For ticket information, visit DenverCutthroats.com or call 866.464.2626.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2014
- Denver Cutthroats Come Back to Sweep Quad City Mallards - Denver Cutthroats
- Americans Clinch Playoff Spot with 7-5 Win - Allen Americans
- Flath Tallies Game-Winner in 5-4 Win vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Cutthroats Outlast Mallards in Shootout 6-5 - Quad City Mallards
- Flath Spoils Oilers Comeback Bid, Thunder Prevails 5-4 - Tulsa Oilers
- Tetrault's Three-Point Night Lifts Americans over Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Rush Players Represent Candidates for Each of CHL's Awards - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster