Defense Shines in Win
SAINT PAUL, Minn. -The National Lacrosse League's (NLL) Minnesota Swarm (2-1) defeated the Edmonton Rush (0-3) 9-8 on Saturday night on Treasure Island Field at Xcel Energy Center.
F Mat Giles (2g, 1a) gave the Swarm an early lead, scoring the first two goals of the game.
In the second quarter, T Andrew Watt (1g, 0a) scored the lone, breakaway goal for the Swarm. Minnesota trailed Edmonton 5-4 at half-time.
During the fourth quarter, T Tyler Hass recorded his first career goal. The breakaway goal gave the Swarm its first lead, 8-7, since the first quarter.
F Ryan Benesch, who led Minnesota with five points (1g, 4a), and F Callum Crawford who tallied three points (2g, 1a) during the victory, each posted a goal for Minnesota in the fourth quarter.
F Aaron Wilson (2g, 2a) recorded a goal at the 1:52 mark in the fourth quarter to give Minnesota a 9-8 lead.
Saturday's matchup was highlighted by defensive play. For the second straight week, Minnesota gave up only eight goals.
G Nick Patterson (2a) recorded 47 saves in the win. Patterson made his final save of the game as time expired and secured the victory for the Swarm.
T Brodie Merrill led Edmonton with five points (3g, 2a). G Matt Disher, formerly of the Minnesota Swarm, recorded 29 saves during the loss.
Minnesota picked up its first victory at home during the 2011 season with the win and its first defeat over Edmonton at home since 2009. During the 2010 regular season series, the Swarm went 0-2 against the Rush.
The Swarm returns to Treasure Island Field at Xcel Energy Center to battle the Washington Stealth on Saturday, Jan. 29 at 7:30 p.m. CST. On Ladies Night at the Hive, fans will be able to see both the Minnesota Swarm and the Minnesota RollerGirls for one ticket price as the Minnesota RollerGirls move from the historic Roy Wilkins Auditorium to skate on the big stage of Xcel Energy Center. The Swarm and the RollerGirls will attempt to break the national attendance record for a roller derby event.
Lower level single game tickets can be purchased for as low as $24 for 2011 home games. Tickets are available online at mnswarm.com or by calling 888-MN-SWARM.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from January 23, 2011
- Big Offensive Night Fuels Washington Stealth in Win Over Calgary - Washington Stealth
- Roughnecks drop 19-14 decision to Stealth - Calgary Roughnecks
- Wings rally late to beat Mammoth 11-10 - Philadelphia Wings
- Mammoth Drops Another One-Goal Game - Colorado Mammoth
- Defense Shines in Win - Minnesota Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Swarm Stories
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Relocation Plans for 2016
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Coaching Staff Change
- Minnesota Swarm Win Overtime Thriller against Rochester in Season
- Minnesota Swarm Face Knighthawks in Last Game of Season
- Minnesota Swarm's Comeback Not Enough against Edmonton