David Maier Commits to Petes
(Peterborough, ON) - Peterborough Petes General Manager Mike Oke announced Wednesday that the team has received a commitment from 2019 CHL Import Draft pick David Maier.
Maier, a 6'0", 175lbs rearguard, was selected 28th overall by the Petes in the 2019 CHL Import Draft in June. The St. Veit an der Glan, Austria native played for the North Bay Battalion for the 2018-19 season where he registered 3 goals, 16 assists, 10 points, and 10 penalty minutes in 49 games.
The 2000-born defenceman represented his country at the 2019 D1A World Junior Hockey Championship, recording 2 assists in 5 games. Maier has an extensive background playing with junior Södertälje SK J20, J18 and U16 clubs from 2015-2017. He was also a candidate to play for the Austrian Men's National Team in the 2019 World Championship - the tournament that 2018 Petes Import Draft pick Liam Kirk played in this offseason.
"We're very pleased that David has committed to playing in Peterborough," commented Oke. "To be able to select a player in the Import Draft that has already adjusted to the North American game will be of great benefit to our team."
"I am honoured to be part of this great organization," added Maier. "I am looking forward to experiencing the amazing atmosphere in the Memorial Centre."
Fans will get their first look at Maier in maroon and white at the Petes' 2019 Training Camp in late August. The Petes will play five exhibition games between August 30 and September 14, including three games as part of the OHL Preseason Showcase in Kitchener and a game at the Cavan Monaghan Community Centre in Millbrook on Saturday, September 14 at 7:05pm against the Niagara IceDogs.
The Petes will open the regular season with nine games on the road before returning to play their home opener on Thursday, October 17 at 7:05 pm against the Hamilton Bulldogs.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from July 31, 2019
- Goaltending Coach Bob Janosz Signs Contract Extension - Niagara IceDogs
- Hockey Canada Announces Roster For 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup - OHL
- #StormCupTour Visits Canada's Capital - Guelph Storm
- Ville Ottavainen Signs OHL Standard Player Agreement - Kitchener Rangers
- Erie Otters Sign Deal with Imagination Park to Bring Augmented Reality Experiences to Fan Base - Erie Otters
- Generals Announce Neumann and Bollers as Coaches for Future Generals Hockey Camp - Oshawa Generals
- Niagara IceDogs Announce Partnership with St. Catharines Transit Commission - Niagara IceDogs
- David Maier Commits to Petes - Peterborough Petes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peterborough Petes Stories
- Win Big Prizes and Get Exclusive Insider Info at Thursday Night Live with the Peterborough Petes
- Michael Little and Jack York to Pursue Opportunities in QMJHL in 2020-21 Season
- Petes Trade Potential Overage Player Brady Hinz to Niagara IceDogs
- Relive the 1996 Memorial Cup Live with Jeff Twohey and Petes Alumni on September 17
- Peterborough Petes Nominated for Peterborough Business Excellence Award