D.C. United Acquires Midfielder Kurt Morsink
Washington, D.C. (March 5, 2010) - D.C. United announced today the club has signed midfielder Kurt Morsink. Morsink comes to United following a stint with the Kansas City Wizards, where the midfielder spent the last three MLS seasons. In addition, the Black-and-Red announced today the club has released midfielder Flo N'Galula.
Last season, while with the Wizards, Morsink played in five games (two starts), accumulating 154 minutes on the pitch before being waived. A native of San Jose, Costa Rica, Morsink was originally acquired by Kansas City with the 42nd pick in the fourth round of the 2007 MLS SuperDraft. At that time, Curt Onalfo was Head Coach of the Wizards, and Morsink will now rejoin Onalfo and former Kansas City teammate Adam Cristman in Washington.
"We are pleased to be adding Kurt to our team," said United General Manager Dave Kasper. "He is an experienced player who will add solid depth to our midfield."
During his first season in Kansas City, Morsink appeared in 21 games (10 starts), and he featured in all 3 of the Wizards' 2007 MLS Cup playoff matches. The following season in 2008 Morsink played in 21 matches (13 starts), as the midfielder tallied three assists.
Morsink played collegiate soccer at James Madison University, where started 73 out of 76 matches over a four-year span. During that time the midfielder climbed his way up the team's all-time rankings, finishing fourth in assists (29), fifth in points (93), and seventh in goals (32).
N'Galula signed with United on January 21. The 22-year old had most recently played both as a holding midfielder and defender with Dutch Eredivisie club Rotterdam.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 5, 2010
- D.C. United Acquires Midfielder Kurt Morsink - D.C. United
- Chivas USA To Face Houston Dynamo In Santa Barbara On March 20 In Final Preseason Match - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Kansas City Wizards To Play A.C. St. Louis In Inaugural "Supporters Showdown" - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- Audi Field Named as Host Venue for Week 6 Premier League Lacrosse Games
- D.C. United Announce Cherry Blossom Night on April 9
- Loudoun United FC Announce Groundbreaking Ceremony for Loudoun United Stadium
- D.C. United Sign Academy Product Griffin Yow as 12th Homegrown in Club History
- D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted MLS Player of the Week