Cottonmouths' Sam Bowles Named SBK Player of the Week
March 28, 2012 - Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) News Release
CHARLOTTE, NC (March 28, 2012) - The Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) today announced Sam Bowles of the Columbus Cottonmouths is the SBK Player of the Week for March 19-24.
Bowles scored three goals and assisted on five others as the Cottonmouths closed out the regular season on a three-game win streak.
On Thursday, the Davidsonville, Maryland native assisted on Columbus' first goal before scoring the overtime game-winner with a minute to play in the extra period, giving Columbus a 4-3 win over Knoxville. Bowles came back on Friday with a career-high five points as the Cottonmouths defeated Fayetteville 8-3. Bowles scored two goals and added three assists, all with the man advantage, as Columbus tied an SPHL record with six power play goals in the game.
Now in his fourth season with the Cottonmouths, Bowles came to Columbus in 2008 after 19 games with the New Mexico Scorpions of the Central Hockey League. In 141 games, Bowles has collected 146 points over three seasons and has finished 3rd, 4th and 2nd on the Snakes roster in points the last three seasons, respectively. Prior to turning pro, Bowles played four seasons with Union College in the ECAC.
Also Nominated: Ed Snetsinger, Augusta (2 gp, 1g), Stuart Stefan, Huntsville (2 gp, 2g, 2a, 1 gwg), David Segal, Knoxville (3 gp, 2g, 2a, +3), Brayden Metz, Louisiana (2 gp, 1g, 3a), Matt Whitehead, Mississippi RIverKings (3 gp, 1g, 3a, 1 gwg), Lucas Labelle, Mississippi Surge (2 gp, 2g, 1 gwg) and Matthew Robertson, Pensacola (3 gp, 4g, +2)
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 28, 2012
- Ice Bears to Regroup After Loss - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Auffrey, Graham's Heroics Earn RiverHawks Game One - Augusta RiverHawks
- RiverKings and Lifeblood Team up to Save Lives One Pint of Blood at a Time - Mississippi RiverKings
- Ice Flyers' Chong and Wilson Named SPHL All Stars - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Ice Bears' Mark Van Vliet Wins Back-To-Back Defenseman of the Year - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Knoxville's Mark Van Vliet Named SBK Defenseman of the Year - SPHL
- Cottonmouths' Sam Bowles Named SBK Player of the Week - SPHL
- Cottonmouths Week in Review - Columbus Cottonmouths
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.