Corey Hertzog Headlines Exercised Options
RENO, Nev. - Reno 1868 FC has exercised options on three players, including Corey Hertzog. Hertzog lead the club with 18 regular season goals in 2019, breaking a career high and tying the club record for goals in a single regular season. Joining Hertzog is midfielder Sam Gleadle and defender Yosimar Hernandez.
"We're really glad to bring these three players back," said head coach Ian Russell. "We're looking forward to them making big impacts next season."
The options are exercised a week after Reno kicked off the offseason by re-signing defenders Brent Richards and Thomas Janjigian.
With the additions Reno 1868 FC's 2020 roster stands as follows:
Defenders: (3) Brent Richards, Thomas Janjigian, Yosimar Hernandez
Midfielders: (1) Sam Gleadle
Forwards: (1) Corey Hertzog
The club will be holding open tryouts on Dec. 14 at Golden Eagle Sports Complex, and those wishing to try out can sign up here.
Corey Hertzog comes back to 1868 FC after a record-breaking first year in Reno in 2019. The veteran attacker scored 19 goals and tallied six assists, both career highs, in 2019. After just one season, Hertzog is already second all-time in goals with Reno, trailing Brian Brown's 28 from 2017-19.
"Corey found his goal scoring form in 2019," said Russell. "We expect the same output from him this coming year."
In 2019, Hertzog scored two goals on three separate occasions, including a 3-0 road victory over Tulsa to cap the regular season. In the playoffs, Hertzog joined Brown as just the second player to score for Reno in the USL playoffs.
English midfielder Sam Gleadle took home the club's young player of the year honors, after a breakout 2019 season that saw him score five goals and notch four assists. Gleadle was with the club last season, but did not appear in any USL match. That changed in 2019. Gleadle appeared in 27 matches, including 16 starts to tally 1,634 minutes played.
"With Sam, he had a breakout year in 2019 and we're excited to see what he does in 2020," said Russell. "He brings a lot of pace to the team."
Gleadle's best moment of the year came in early July, when the native of University of New Mexico product scored twice and added an assist in a 4-0 win over Rio Grande Valley FC. Gleadle was the first Reno player to score multiple goals and earn an assist in 2019.
Yosimar Hernandez returns to Reno for his second year with 1868 FC.
"We're looking for Yosimar to make an impact," said Russell. "He's an outside back that likes to get forward and possess the ball."
Hernandez was signed to Reno at the beginning of the 2019 season. Hernandez has experience with the U.S. U-15 National team in 2011, and spent four years on the UC Riverside Men's Soccer team. Hernandez was one of six players in 2016 to see action in all of the Highlanders' 20 matches.
1868 FC has declined options on midfielders Will Seymore, Mattia Trianni and Marky Hernandez, as well as goalkeeper Damion Lewis.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 3, 2019
- Republic FC's All-time Leading Goal Scorer Signs New Agreement - Sacramento Republic FC
- Forward Santi Moar Signs with Phoenix Rising for 2020 Season - Phoenix Rising FC
- Birmingham Legion FC Selected as Host of 2020 USL Experience - Birmingham Legion FC
- Republic FC Brings Back Standout Defender Jordan McCrary - Sacramento Republic FC
- Corey Hertzog Headlines Exercised Options - Reno 1868 FC
- Aces, 1868 FC, Reno Rodeo Foundation Partner on Denim Drive - Reno 1868 FC
- LouCity Partners with Daktronics for Lynn Family Stadium - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC Exercises Contract Options on Four Key Players - North Carolina FC
- Switchbacks FC Nominated for USL Championship "Best Community Assist" Award - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno 1868 FC Stories
- Trio of Reno Players Headed to Minnesota United FC of MLS
- Ian Russell Named One of Three Finalists for Coach of the Year
- Kevin Partida and Christiano Francois Named to All-League Team
- Reno Aces hosting first-ever Racin' Aces virtual 5k
- Reno Drops Heartbreaker in Penalty Kicks