Connor Lockhart Invited to Hockey Canada's National U-17 Development Camp
CALGARY, Alta. - Hockey Canada has invited 112 players to Calgary to participate in Canada's national under-17 development camp, taking place July 19-26 at the Markin MacPhail Centre at WinSport's Canada Olympic Park.
During the week-long camp, the players - 12 goaltenders, 36 defencemen and 64 forwards - will be split into six teams for on- and off-ice training, fitness testing, intrasquad games and classroom studies.
Brad McEwen (Whitewood, Sask.), head scout for the Program of Excellence, and POE management group representative Martin Mondou (Grand-Mére, Que./Shawinigan, QMJHL) built the roster with assistance from regional scouts Carl Bouchard (Quebec), Rob Simpson (Ontario), Jason Smart (West), Darren Sutherland (Atlantic), Shaun Sutter (West) and Darrell Woodley (Ontario).
"The national under-17 development camp is the first step these athletes take in their Team Canada career," said Shawn Bullock, director of men's national teams. "Ultimately, these players will learn what it takes to wear the Maple Leaf in international competition. We are here to support their development by providing the on- and off-ice experiences they need to achieve the dream of representing their country."
Following camp, players will be monitored through the early weeks of the 2019-20 season before 66 are named to one of three Canadian teams - Team Canada Black, Team Canada Red and Team Canada White - competing at the 2019 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, scheduled for Nov. 2-9 in Medicine Hat, Alta., and Swift Current, Sask.
For the second year in a row, all 112 players have been drafted by Canadian Hockey League teams, including 46 from the Ontario Hockey League, 38 from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and 28 from the Western Hockey League.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from June 25, 2019
- Connor Lockhart Invited to Hockey Canada's National U-17 Development Camp - Erie Otters
- Attack Trio Invited to U17 Development Camp - Owen Sound Attack
- Brett Harrison, Daniel Michaud and Patrick Leaver Invited to Hockey Canada's National Under-17 Development Camp - Oshawa Generals
- Hockey Canada Invites Punnett, Bloom, Garvie to National Under-17 Development Camp - Saginaw Spirit
- #StormCupTour Visits Three Defencemen - Guelph Storm
- Cam Hillis Named Storm Captain - Guelph Storm
- OHL Gold Cup Hero Zito Commits - Windsor Spitfires
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Erie Otters Stories
- Voice of the Otters Thinks Pink in October
- D'Amato, Lockhart Make NHL Main Camps
- Otters Go Perfect in Home Preseason with 7-4 Win over Saginaw
- Double-Digit Night Propels Otters to 10-2 Victory over the Firebirds
- Two Goals in Final Minute Lift Otters to 5-4 Win in Preseason Opener