Cincinnati's Sproat, Elmira's Frank Named Co-Recipients of Inaugural ECHL Community Service Award
April 1, 2011 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
PRINCETON, N.J. â" The ECHL on Friday announced that Cincinnati's Dustin Sproat and Elmira's Chris Frank have been named co-recipients of the inaugural ECHL Community Service Award.
Each ECHL team was given the opportunity to nominate one player for their efforts in community and charitable causes during the 2010-11 season. The nominations were voted on by League Office personnel.
Sproat was one of the driving forces behind the creation of Hockey Players for Kids (HP4K) in March 2009. HP4K's mission is to harness the leadership, enthusiasm and public goodwill of the most exceptional people playing professional hockey in communities throughout North America, and use it to positively impact the lives of local children.
During the 2010-11 season, Sproat and his Cyclones' teammates volunteered their time at local YMCA and Boys and Girls Club afterschool programs, the Cincinnati Children's Hospital and the Ronald McDonald House. Sproat also helped HP4K partner with the Children's Hunger Alliance and the Cincinnati Amateur Hockey Association to host a pond hockey fundraiser.
Frank has developed relationships with children and adults in need during this season through his volunteering at the Elmira Psychiatric Center. He has spent a significant amount of his time away from the rink helping and connecting with patients through involvement in the patient's therapeutic and recreational groups and eating dinner with the children.
In addition to his efforts at the Elmira Psychiatric Center, Frank has also met with patients at St. Joseph's Hospital in Elmira and has brought children to watch Jackals' games. Frank has also read to children at schools throughout the community and has participated in a program called Stick to Reading, a player-designed curriculum that encourages students to read on a more frequent basis.
The other nominees for the 2010-11 ECHL Community Service Award were: Jean-Marc Beaudoin (Bakersfield), Matt Schepke (Greenville), Andy Brandt (Gwinnett), Cody Lampl (Idaho), Barry Goers (Las Vegas), Shawn Germain (Ontario), John Scrymgeour (Reading), Jordan Pietrus (South Carolina), Daryl Marcoux (Stockton), Kyle Page (Toledo), Jeff Lerg (Trenton) and David Shantz (Victoria).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 1, 2011
- Bakersfield knocks of Utah 3-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Stingrays Edge Everblades 5-4 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Bag Another Comeback Win in Trenton, 6-3 - Reading Royals
- Glads Fall 4-1 in Home Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wings Blank Cyclones in Regular Season Final, 5-0 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Blades come-back cut short, fall 5-4 to South Carolina - Florida Everblades
- Kalamazoo Finishes Road Schedule with a 5-0 Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Four-Goal Third Lifts Reading Over Trenton, 6-3 - Trenton Devils
- Warriors win final road game of season - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Walloped By Walleye, 6-2 - Elmira Jackals
- Forward Antoine Roussel Assigned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Salmon Kings Add D-Man Adam Ross - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Tickets for 2011 Thunder Playoffs Presented by Golden Bear Insurance On Sale Monday - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - April 1 - ECHL
- We Want to Show You Our Appreciation - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira at Toledo - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati Vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Coulombe Returned to Jackals - Elmira Jackals
- Swanson Wins ECHL Sportsmanship Award - Alaska Aces
- Alaska's Swanson Wins Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- J.P. Lamoureux Returns from Abbotsford - Utah Grizzlies
- Salmon Kings Offering $5 Playoff Ticket - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Stingrays Sign Joe Cucci; Kroll Returns from AHL - South Carolina Stingrays
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Dustin Sproat Earns ECHL's 2011 Community Service Award - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder at Las Vegas Wranglers - Stockton Thunder
- Cincinnati's Sproat, Elmira's Frank Named Co-Recipients of Inaugural ECHL Community Service Award - ECHL
- Frank Named Co-Recipient of ECHL's Community Service Award - Elmira Jackals
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - April 1 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers to Appear at Tim Horton's Friday - Wheeling Nailers
- Stingrays Gameday: Stingrays Look to Bounce Back Against Everblades Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - April 1 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.