CHL Announces 04-05 All-Rookie Team
March 15, 2005 - Central Hockey League (CHL) News Release
The Central Hockey League today has announced the six members of the 2004-2005 All-Rookie Team, as determined through balloting of each CHL Head Coach. Each member franchise provided a listing of all rookies for consideration prior to voting. The Bud Poile Governors Cup (regular season) Champion Colorado Eagles placed two members on the All-Rookie team, with single representatives from Memphis, Topeka, Lubbock and Oklahoma City.
Selected as CHL All-Rookie Team forwards were Phil Aucoin of the Memphis RiverKings, Mike Lukajic of the Topeka Tarantulas and Colorados Kevin Marsh. Massachusetts native Aucoin leads all first-year players in both points (69) and assists (44), while Lukajic, who scored the game winning goal in the 2005 Dodge CHL All-Star Game, leads all rookies with 31 goals. Marsh, meanwhile, ranks in the top five among all rookies in points (52), goals (23), assists (29), plus/minus (+26), power play goals (8) and game winning goals (6).
Earning recognition as All-Rookie Team defensemen are Oklahoma Citys Jarad Bourassa and Lubbocks Derick Martin. Bourassa has enjoyed a fine first season, scoring 14 goals and adding 19 assists along with a +17 plus/minus rating, while All-Star Martin has quickly developed a reputation as a punishing bodychecker, and was named Best Defensive Defenseman in the 2004/2005 CHL Best of the Best poll.
In net for the CHL All-Rookie Team is Colorado goaltender Tyler Weiman, on pace to establish new league records for both goals against average (1.77) and save percentage (.939) in a single season. Weiman has already equaled the CHL record of eight shutouts in a season, and is a 5th Round selection of the Colorado Avalanche in 2002.
Later today the Scott Brower Memorial Trophy (Most Outstanding Goaltender) and Rookie of the Year award recipients will be announced. Additional announcements later this week include the All-CHL Team and Most Valuable Player awards on Wednesday, the CHL Man of the Year and Rick Kozuback Awards on Thursday, and the Most Outstanding Defenseman and Coach of the Year on Friday. The Joe Burton Award, presented to the regular season scoring champion, will be determined at the completion of the regular season on Sunday,
2004-2004 CHL All-Rookie Team
Forward Phil Aucoin, Memphis RiverKings
Forward Mike Lukajic, Topeka Tarantulas
Forward Kevin Marsh, Colorado Eagles
Defenseman Jarad Bourassa, Oklahoma City Blazers
Defenseman Derick Martin, Lubbock Cotton Kings
Goaltender Tyler Weiman, Colorado Eagles
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2005
- RiverKings serve as host, helping network non-profits with grant provider - Mississippi RiverKings
- Aucoin finishes as runner-up to Colorado's Weiman for Rookie of the Year - Mississippi RiverKings
- Weiman having twice the fun - Colorado Eagles
- Scorpions Holding Red Jersey Auction - New Mexico Scorpions
- RiverKings' goalie Racine suspended one game by CHL - Mississippi RiverKings
- Colorados Weiman Named Rookie of the Year, Most Outstanding Goaltender - Colorado Eagles
- Bucks Clinch SE Division Title, Will Wear St Patricks Day Jerseys Wednesday - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees Weekly Notes - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Recently-made Memphis resident finds niche with RiverKings hockey team - Mississippi RiverKings
- Rayz split weekend vs. division rivals - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Lukajic named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Topeka Tarantulas
- RiverKings' Aucoin honored as member of 2004-2005 All-Rookie Team - Mississippi RiverKings
- Final regular season edition of the coach's show is tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- CHL Announces 04-05 All-Rookie Team - CHL
- Ice Bats Take Playoff Hopes Into Final Week - Austin Ice Bats
- Brahmas to host Fan Appreciation Weekend - Fort Worth Brahmas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.