Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: May 26, 2019
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club will play two Eastern Conference away matches in a four-day span this week. The Men in Red will begin their two-game road swing on Wednesday, May 29, when they take on D.C. United at Audi Field. Scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m. CT, the match will be broadcast live on ESPN+ and transmitted locally on Univision Radio 93.5 Latino Mix. Coverage will begin at 6:45 p.m. CT with a live pregame show on ESPN+, presented by CIBC.
Following the match against D.C. United, the Fire will travel to face Atlanta United FC at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Saturday, June 1. Set to begin at 5:00 p.m. CT, the match will be nationally televised on UniMas (Spanish) and Twitter (English) and transmitted locally in Spanish on Univision Radio WRTO AM 1200.
Heading into both matches, the Fire (4-5-5, 17 points) are coming off a 1-1 draw against New York City FC at SeatGeek Stadium. The result against NYCFC extended the Men in Red's home unbeaten run to six games (4-0-2), dating back to March 30. Forward CJ Sapong scored the game's opening goal, tallying his fifth of the season and the 1000th regular season goal in Club history.
Wednesday's contest marks the first meeting between the Fire and D.C. United this season. Entering the match, the Fire are unbeaten in four of its last five matches (2-2-1) played against D.C. since Sept. 16, 2016. D.C. United (7-4-4, 25 points) is currently sitting in first place in the Eastern Conference after earning a point on the road in a 1-1 draw against the New England Revolution on May 25. Forward Wayne Rooney, who scored a 90th minute penalty kick against the Revolution, leads the team in goals (eight) and assists (four).
Saturday's match against Atlanta United will mark the first contest between the two sides in 2019, and the Fire's third match at Mercedes-Benz Stadium across all competitions since 2017. In 2018, the Men in Red claimed its first win at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in a 1-0 victory in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 on June 20. Prior to Saturday's game, Atlanta United (6-5-2, 20 points) will play a midweek home match against Minnesota United FC on Wednesday, May 29. Forward Josef Martinez leads the team in goals (six).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 26, 2019
- Toronto FC (1) - San Jose Earthquakes (2) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Russell Hat-Trick Leads Sporting to 3-2 Win over Seattle - Sporting Kansas City
- Late Equalizer Gives Tacoma a Point in 3-3 Draw - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: May 26, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 26, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Loans Midfielder Cristian Martinez to Las Vegas Lights FC
- Chicago Fire Successfully Appeal Midfielder Nicolas Gaitan's Suspension
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: August 18 - August 24
- Ten-Man Chicago Fire Blank Philadelphia Union 2-0, Move Within One Point of a Playoff Spot
- Ten-Man Chicago Fire Drops Hard Fought 3-2 Loss to Portland, Remains Three Points Away from Playoff Spot