Chenard Stops 28 to Propel Attack Friday
Kitchener, Ont. - Owen Sound Attack goaltender Nick Chenard made 28 saves and Colby Barlow recorded a hat-trick en-route to a 4-1 victory over the Kitchener Rangers Friday in front of 5,474 fans at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium. Adrian Misaljevic recorded the lone goal for the Rangers.
The Rangers fell to the Owen Sound Attack Friday night by a score of 4-1. Adrian Misaljevic scored his first goal of the year and goaltender Marco Constantini who was recently acquired from Hamilton, made his debut for the Blueshirts.
The Rangers were 0/2 on the power-play and a perfect 3/3 on the penalty kill. Goalie Marco Costantini earned himself second star of the game with a 29 save performance. 1st star of the game was Colby Barlow, and the 3rd star was Nick Chenard.
Chances were traded back and forth early on between the Rangers and the Attack. Marco Costantini made some key saves keeping the game scoreless halfway through the first period. Owen Sound would breakthrough at the 12:07 mark of the first period to open the scoring. A blocker save from Costantini was punched out to the high slot where the puck was picked up and fired home through a screen by Colby Barlow. Just over two minutes later, Owen Sound doubled their lead at 14:50. Colby Barlow again profiting off a blocked point shot deflecting to the left of Costantini's goal for Barlow to slot it home into the empty net. Nolan Seed picking up the sole assist on Barlow's second of the night.
The period ended with Owen Sound up 2-0 and leading in shots 14-5.
The Rangers dominated most of the play in the middle frame outshooting the Attack 11-5 in the period. Their efforts were finally rewarded at 13:22 of the second period. A cross-ice pass from Tomas Hamara (Ottawa Senators) to his defence partner Hunter Brzustewicz was shot and tipped waist-high past the glove of Nick Chenard from Adrian Misaljevic for his first goal of the season. That cut the lead to 2-1.
Owen Sound would restore their two-goal advantage at 9:15 making it a 3-1 score line. The puck was dumped in the corner off a draw in the Rangers defensive end and recovered by the Attack. A pass from behind the net found Matthew Papais in the slot who one-timed a shot into the top left corner, over the blocker of Marco Costantini. The middle frame ended with Owen Sound still leading 3-1 and shots favouring the Attack 19-16.
Some penalty trouble in the third saw Kitchener go down to a 5-on-3 penalty kill for 1:25 late in the third period, however the Rangers stood firm and killed it off. Costantini was pulled for the extra attacker with 2:40 left in the game but couldn't get a bounce to go their way. Colby Barlow added an empty net goal to complete a hattrick performance on the night. The game finished Owen Sound 4, Kitchener 1. Final shots favoured the Attack 33-29.
The Rangers are back at The Aud Sunday October 16th when the club hosts the Flint Firebirds. Tickets are $21 for children and $25 for adults and can be purchased online now. Additionally, fans can purchase tickets via the phone by calling the Centre In The Square Box Office at (519) 578-1570. Tickets can also be purchased in person at the Activa Box Office at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium at 400 East Ave. Kitchener, ON N2H 1Z6 or at the Centre In The Square Box Office at 101 Queen St N, Kitchener, ON N2H 6P7.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from October 15, 2022
- Preview: Rangers Face Flint Sunday Afternoon at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium Complex - Kitchener Rangers
- Pitre Brothers Net a Pair of Goals, But Firebirds Fall 7-3 in Niagara - Flint Firebirds
- Spitfires Fall to Owen Sound in Overtime 5-4 - Windsor Spitfires
- Mancini Scores Twice; Otters Slip Past Spirit in Overtime - Saginaw Spirit
- Juan IceDog Too Many - Niagara IceDogs
- Spence & Cohen's Multi-Goal Heroics, Gibbons' Starting Debut Give Erie OT Win - Erie Otters
- Firebirds Seek Back-To-Back Wins on the Road at Niagara - Flint Firebirds
- Montréal Canadiens Assign Filip Mešár to Kitchener - Kitchener Rangers
- Spirit Face Otters Saturday Night in Erie - Saginaw Spirit
- IceDogs Game Day Preview - Niagara IceDogs
- Kitchener Rangers Partner with Sun Life, Kids Help Phone as Official Helmet Sponsor - Kitchener Rangers
- Chenard Stops 28 to Propel Attack Friday - Kitchener Rangers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.