Charlotte Independence Falls 4-1 Away to Birmingham Legion FC in Group G Clash
BIRMINGHAM - The Charlotte Independence dropped points for the first time this season in a 4-1 defeat to Birmingham Legion FC in USL Championship, Group G play at BBVA Compass Field. Neco Brett, Bruno Lapa and Brian Wright scored for the home side to give Birmingham a cushion atop Group G before the two sides meet again this month at the Sportsplex at Matthews.
Legion FC held the better of attack in the early going, scoring two times in the first 15 minutes of the match through Dean and Brett. After the goals, the Independence and Legion FC traded chances throughout the remainder of the first-half with forwards Dane Kelly and Enzo Martinez creating opportunities for the Jacks, while Lapa looked dangerous for the home side.
Trailing 2-0, Independence head coach Mike Jeffries turned to his bench, bringing on Rey Ortiz for Guido Vadala at the start of the second half. However, it was Legion FC that scored the third goal of the match as Lapa connected on a pass by Dean at the top of the box and rocketed his shot past Independence goalkeeper Brandon Miller in the 52nd minute.
While the Independence found some dangerous moments in transition, the team struggled to threaten inside the Birmingham box. Legion FC didn't back down and added to its lead in the 66th minute as Brett scored his second of the evening.
The Jacks capped the scoring - a well-taken penalty kick conversion by Martinez - in the 76th minute. The goal was the first of the campaign for Martinez.
The two Group G opponents will meet again in a week as the Independence host Legion FC on Wednesday, August 12th at the Sportsplex at Matthews.
Next on the Schedule: The Independence will host the Charleston Battery on Saturday, August 8th at 7 p.m. ET at the Sportsplex at Matthews and broadcast live on ESPN+. The match against the Battery will be the Independence's first home game in 294 days.
Social: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Match: Charlotte Independence at Birmingham Legion FC
Date: August 5, 2020
Venue: BBVA Compass Field
Competition: USL Championship - Group G
Kickoff: 7:00 p.m. local/8:00 p.m. ET
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
CLT 0 1 1
BHM 2 2 4
BHM - Jonny Dean 5th minute
BHM - Neco Brett 11th minute
BHM - Bruno Lapa (Dean) 52nd minute
BHM - Neco Brett (Wright) 66th minute
CLT - Enzo Martinez 76th minute
CLT: 33-Brandon Miller; 22-Joel Johnson (17-Clay Dimick), 18-Aaron Maund, 3-Hugh Roberts; 21-Junior Etou (4-Jake Areman), 15-Luke Haakenson, 27-Derek Gebhard (11-Valentin Sabella), 23- Guido Vadala (7-Rey Ortiz,),19-Enzo Martinez (Capt.), 9-Dane Kelly (32-Tresor Mbuyu)
Subs Not Used: 1-Austin Pack, 20-Oscar Ramsay
Head Coach: Mike Jeffries
BHM: 1-Matt Vanoekel (Capt.); 5-Mikey Lopez (10-Prosper Kasim), 6-Anderson Asiedu, 7-Brian Wright (17- Jaden Servania), 8-Bruno Lapa (20-Braxton Najib), 11-Neco Brett (14- Rudolf Mensah), 12-Eli Crognale, 13-Jake Rufe, 16-Daigo Kobayashi (2-Marcos Ugarte), 21-Alex Crognale, 24-Jonathan Dean
Subs Not Used: 18-Trevor Spangenberg
Head Coach: Tommy Soehn
Stats Summary CLT/ BHM:
Shots: 0 / 13
Shots on Goal: 0/ 8
Saves: 4 / 0
Corner Kicks: 0 / 3
Fouls: 4 / 14
Offside: 1/ 2
CLT - Guido Vadala (caution) 29th minute
Referee: Matt Thompson
Assistant Referee 1: Ryan Star
Assistant Referee 2: Eric Wood
Fourth Official: Sara Gaddes
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 5, 2020
- Charlotte Independence Falls 4-1 Away to Birmingham Legion FC in Group G Clash - Charlotte Independence
- Atlanta United 2 Draws 1-1 against Charleston Battery - Atlanta United 2
- Union II earns first victory of the season in debut for Interim Head Coach Marlon LeBlanc - Philadelphia Union II
- Single Match Tickets Now Available to FC Tulsa Home Opener - FC Tulsa
- Match Preview: Republic FC at Portland Timbers 2 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Rowdies Sign Midfielder Adam Najem - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Indy Eleven Signs Trio to USL Academy Contracts - Indy Eleven
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 7 - USL
- Danny Barrera Named to USL Team of the Week for 2nd Week in a Row - Hartford Athletic
- Barrera, Vazquez Share Landmark Night as Athletic Bring the House Down - Hartford Athletic
- LA Galaxy II Match vs. Phoenix Rising FC Rescheduled - LA Galaxy II
- Saturday's home opener to be played without fans - Reno 1868 FC
- FC Tulsa Holding Virtual National Anthem Auditions - FC Tulsa
- Sanchez Expects 'A Big Jump' in Youth Talent with New Training Facility - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Independence Stories
- USL Academy League Confirms Independence as One of Eight Founding Atlantic Division Members
- Charlotte Independence and Heal Charlotte Team up to Host Second Community Clinic
- Charlotte Independence Soccer Club Regional Alignment for Inaugural USL Academy League Set to be Announced
- Charlotte Independence Season Comes to a Close in Eastern Conference Quarterfinal
- Charlotte Independence v Charleston Battery: Match Preview