Captains Announce Copa de la Diversion Identity
(Eastlake, OH) - The Lake County Captains, the Class-A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians, have announced a new team identity for the "Copa de la Diversion" or "Fun Cup" program that the Captains will participate in during the 2019 season. The Captains will re-brand as the ""Picantes de Lake County" for five games during the 2019 season. The team will wear specially designed jerseys and hats for each of these games featuring the Picantes name and logo.
A Spanish language version of the press release is attached as well as photos of the jersey and hat the Captains will wear.
The cornerstone of MiLB's U.S. Hispanic/Latinx fan engagement initiative, "Copa de la Diversión" established an innovative new platform authentically connecting MiLB teams with their diverse communities, embracing the culture and values that resonate most with Hispanics/Latinos nationwide.
The Spanish word picante can have a couple of meanings when translated to English. One is any food that is hot and spicy. The other can describe a person being a little cutting-edge or racy when it comes to describing that person's personality. The Picantes will have a spicy red pepper on their uniforms and hats to represent the former.
The Captains have released a new line of merchandise specific to the Picantes brand in the CLE Clothing Cargo Hold store. Sales are expected to be brisk as sales from teams that participated in the inaugural season last year far exceeded expectations. Fans can purchase Picantes merchandise in-person at Classic Park Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM and online at www.cargoholdstore.com or www.captainsbaseball.com.
On Sunday, May 5 the Captains will celebrate Cinco de Mayo and will launch the first of five games that the Captains will be participating in as the Picantes. The other dates are June 2, July 7, August 12 and August 31.
The Captains will theme the games and honor the many different and diverse Latinx communities in northeast Ohio by providing special menu items to fit the culture of each community. Many different countries and cultures are represented in the Latinx community in northeast Ohio such as Puerto Rico, Mexico and the Dominican Republic to name a few. Leaders and groups from each community will be honored and highlighted at each game.
The Captains open the 2019 season on April 4 at Classic Park against the Great Lakes Loons. Individual game tickets, affordable ticket packages and group outings are available for purchase now. More information may be found at www.CaptainsBaseball.com.
Images from this story
Los Picantes de Lake County logo
Los Picantes de Lake County cap
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from March 18, 2019
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Specialty Jerseys for 2019 Include Copa De La Diversion Entry - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dayton Dragons 2019 Preview, Part 6: Outfielders - Dayton Dragons
- Introducing Las Calaveras de West Michigan; Whitecaps to Participate in Minor League Baseball's "Copa De La Diversion" Hispanic Fan Initiative - West Michigan Whitecaps
- LumberKings to become Clinton Elotes on Sundays - Clinton LumberKings
- Lugnuts to Become... Lansing Locos - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Announce Copa de la Diversion Identity - Lake County Captains
- Johnny Cueto Among 20 Greatest Dragons - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake County Captains Stories
- Former Indians Pitcher Charles Nagy to be Featured Guest at Captains 2020 Hot Stove Dinner
- Captains Promote Jen Yorko to General Manager; John Klein and Tim O'Brien Promoted to Assistant General Manager Roles
- Free Post-Season Events at Classic Park
- Loons Eliminate Captains in Game Three
- Captains Survive, Force Game Three