Canseco to Manage Roadrunners
EDINBURG, Texas - The Edinburg Roadrunners of the United League Baseball announced today the hiring of Ozzie Canseco as their new manager for the upcoming 2013 season.
Canseco is no stranger to professional baseball as his career began in 1983 when he was drafted as a pitcher by the New York Yankees in the second round. After being in the Yankees organization for a couple of seasons, Canseco was signed by the Oakland Athletics as an outfielder, where he finally reached the Major League level in 1990.
After a year in the Japanese league, Canseco was signed by the St. Louis Cardinals where he reached the Majors once again in 1992 where he batted .276 and played with the organization until 1993.
Canseco has also experience and played at the independent level with Newark of the Atlantic League in 2000 where he led the league in home runs and RBI, Laredo in 2010, and with Yuma 2011 where he was the interim manager.
"It will be great to finally manage in Edinburg where the fan base is unbelievable" said Canseco. "I look forward to the fan support and hope to build upon another championship team this season."
Roadrunner season tickets and family passes are available and can be purchased by calling the front office at 956-380-4446 or by visiting www.roadrunnerball.com.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from April 18, 2013
- Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings Announce Schedule, New Faces - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- New Look White Wings Announce 2013 Schedule and the Return of the United League - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Fort Worth Cats Begin 125th Anniversary Season with May 23 Opener - Fort Worth Cats
- Canseco to Manage Roadrunners - Edinburg Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.