Bustos Records Second Straight Brace as WFC2 Win 3-0 Versus Sounders FC 2
TUKWILA, WASHINGTON - Marco Bustos recorded his second consecutive brace and Andre Lewis added another tally to lead Whitecaps FC 2 (8W-10L-5D) to a 3-0 win over Seattle Sounders FC 2 (11W-8L-3D) at Starfire Sports Stadium on Saturday.
The offensive outburst caps off a productive week for the Winnipeg-born Bustos, who was selected to the USL Team of the Week on Tuesday for his two-goal performance against Tulsa Roughnecks FC before making his 2015 debut with the first team in the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League (SCCL) opener versus Seattle Sounders FC on Wednesday.
DOWNLOAD: 21f69652f97406db45db4621a Highlights and images from the match (Photo credit: Charis Wilson)
Defence was the story to start the match as WFC2 defenders Jackson Farmer, Craig Nitti and Sahil Sandhu each made early stops and timely clearances versus the Sounders FC 2 attack.
On the other end, the 'Caps attempted to catch Sounders FC 2 on counter-attacks but Caleb Clarke and Bustos were blanketed by the S2 backline and were unable to score off their half-chances.
The first real opportunity for WFC2 came off a set piece in the 32nd minute when Sam Adekugbe, making his WFC2 debut, released along the right side of the net to redirect a free kick but the effort was wide by a foot.
S2 forward Sam Garza gave the home side their best chance in the first half in the 38th minute on a breakaway but Farmer was there to bother him just enough for the shot to bounce off the near post as the two sides went into the halftime without a score.
It did not remain scoreless for too long after the break. In the 47th minute, WFC2 broke on a counter-attack and Clarke played the ball through to a speeding Bustos, who calmly chipped the ball over the extended arms of S2 goalkeeper Charlie Lyon.
Bustos was not through for the evening. Less than 10 minutes after his first goal, Bustos manuevered his way through traffic and played a crafty give-and-go exchange with Victor Blasco to shake free from defenders and once again converted on a chip shot for his second goal of the match.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 9, 2015
- Arizona United SC Defeats LA Galaxy II for Second Time in 2-1 Victory - Phoenix Rising FC
- Kickers and Rochester Battle to 1-1 Draw - Richmond Kickers
- Rhinos Remain Unbeaten at Home - Rochester Rhinos
- Bustos Records Second Straight Brace as WFC2 Win 3-0 Versus Sounders FC 2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- Early goal for Switchbacks FC enough to beat Republic FC 1-0 and take three points at Bonney Field - Sacramento Republic FC
- Switchbacks Beat Defending Champions - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Monarchs Draw 1-1 with Tulsa Roughnecks in First-Ever Meeting - Real Monarchs SLC
- T2 Comeback Bid Falls Short in 4-3 Loss to OKC Energy FC at Merlo - Portland Timbers 2
- Ilich and Thompson Lead OC Blues FC to 1-0 Victory - Orange County SC
- Roughnecks Draw 1-1 in Utah with Real Monarchs - FC Tulsa
- Aztex Fall 1-0 to Orange County Blues - Austin Aztex
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.