Bulls Race Past Pilots, 10-2
AMARILLO, Tex. - League-leading Amarillo scored six first-period goals and never looked back Monday night, cruising to a 10-2 North American Hockey League victory over Topeka at the Amarillo Civic Center.
The victory leaves the Bulls at 23-2-2-2 in the NAHL South Division. The Pilots slip to 15-15-2-2.
Amarillo had success early and often, scoring 2:48 into the game when defenseman Nick Anderson beat Topeka starting goalie McLean Dorr. The Bulls added scores from Jordan Venegoni, Trey Bagwell (2) and Brendan Datema against McLean before the Pilots goalie was pulled 12:25 into the first period.
Danish goaltender Emil Gransoe replaced Dorr and surrendered one more goal before the end of the first. Amarillo outshot Topeka 24-8 for the period.
The Bulls, who went 3-5 on the power play, upped their lead to 8-0 on goals from Brett Abdeinour and Datema before the Pilots got on the board. Forward Brendan Schultz scored his 7th of the season with help from defenseman Cole Thiessen, and teammate Quinn Green scored his 13th at the 12:39 mark to make it 8-2.
Dorr was inserted back into the game to start the third, surrendering goals to Ryan Lautenbach and Jason Branchaeu. The Bulls finished the game with a 44-30 edge in shots.
After an off weekend, the Pilots return to action Jan. 11-12 at Lone Star, and return home with a 3-game set against Odessa Jan. 18-19-20 at the Kansas ExpoCentre.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2019
- Titans Acquire Mitch Machlitt - New Jersey Titans
- Amarillo Bulls Weekend Preview Versus Corpus Christi - Amarillo Bulls
- NAHL Announces Wilderness Ondrej Trejbal as Defenseman of the Month - Minnesota Wilderness
- Vernon Named NAHL Goaltender of the Month Strada (Forward) & Weigel (Defenseman) Honorable Mention - Aberdeen Wings
- NAHL Announces Monthly Player Awards for December 2018 - NAHL
- Jouppi Named Forward of the Month for December - Bismarck Bobcats
- Weekend Preview - Jamestown Rebels
- Bulls Race Past Pilots, 10-2 - Topeka Pilots
- Quick Hits: NAHL Game 32 Preview - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Topeka Pilots Stories
- Pilots Rally to Sweep Jr. Blues with 6-3 Victory
- Pilots Ride Balanced Offensive Effort to 5-3 Victory over Jr. Blues
- Pilots Host Online Benefit Auction
- Pilots Finish Weekend Sweep of Jackalopes with 3-1 Victory
- McCarthy Nets Hat Trick, Pilots Knock off Jackalopes 8-2