Bulls Down Bugs
The Shreveport Mudbugs (31-17) battled hard, but came up short to the Amarillo Bulls, 2-0 Saturday night at the Amarillo Civic Center.
Amarillo got on the board at 16:30 of the 1st period when former Bug Brett Postula shot in the rebound in front to give the Bulls a 1-0 edge. After the goal, Dawson Sciarrino instigated a huge fight with Matt Allen after Allen gave Aidan Metcalfe an awkward hit into the corner boards. Amarillo led in SOG, 16-3 after one period of play.
Carson Nichols had a breakaway shorthanded opportunity and thought he had slipped the puck past goalie Charlie Glockner late in the 2nd period, but after a lengthy discussion from the officials, they ruled no goal had been made. The Bugs bench was furious about the no goal call. Shortly after that call, Matt Allen shot in a rebound far side at 14:04 to give the Bulls a 2-0 lead. Amarillo led in SOG, 25-11 after two periods of play.
The Bugs couldn't get much going in the 3rd period, but Richie Parent kept his team in the game making 30 saves taking a tough luck loss in net.
For the first time this season, Shreveport drops their third straight contest.
The Mudbugs return home next Friday and Saturday night to George's Pond in Hirsch Coliseum to take on the Odessa Jackalopes. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:11 p.m. for both contests.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2020
- Bulls Announce Events for Make-A-Wish Night - Amarillo Bulls
- Pilots Sweep Ice Wolves with 5-1 Victory - Topeka Pilots
- Bulls Down Bugs - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Wings Come up Short Saturday Night - Aberdeen Wings
- Brown Bears Swept by Magicians - Kenai River Brown Bears
- Titans Fall to Jamestown 5-3 - New Jersey Titans
- Brahmas Come Back to Beat IceRays Saturday - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.