Bulldogs drop 3-1 decision to Griffins
Hamilton, ON - The Grand Rapids Griffins scored three unanswered third period goals as they defeated the Hamilton Bulldogs 3-1 on Sunday evening in front of 3,352 fans at Copps Colesium.
Hamilton outshot Grand Rapids 15 to 9 in a scoreless first period.
The game remained with no score after two periods of play with Bulldogs holding the edge in shots 27 to 14.
Bulldogs forward Brad Winchester open the scoring in the game at 3:50 of the third period, when he beat Griffins goaltender Drew MacIntyre with a wrist shot from the top of the face-off circle. It was Winchester's fourth goal in his last three games.
Grand Rapids tied the game at the 9:07 mark of the third period on the power play. Griffins defenseman Derek Meech's shot from the point was tipped in front of the net by Nate Dicasmiro. Donald McLean also drew an assist on the play.
Griffins forward Valtteri Filppula broke the 1-1 tie at 14:01 of the third period when his wrist shot from the face-off circle beat Bulldogs goaltender Jeff DesLauriers high on the blocker side.
Jiri Hudler extended the Griffins lead to 3-1 and rounded out the scoring at 18:20 of the third period, when he deflected Kyle Quincey's point high over DesLauriers. It was Hudler's 13th goal of the season.
Hamilton goaltender DesLauriers stopped 23 of 26 shots, while Grand Rapids goaltender MacIntyre made 32 saves in the victory
Hamilton was 0-5 with the man advantage while Grand Rapids was 1-5.
The Bulldogs next game will take place on Wednesday, November 9th when the Binghamton Senators make their first visit to Copps Coliseum this season. Game time is 7:30 p.m. Tickets are available at Copps Coliseum Box Office (in-person sales only), any Ticketmaster outlet, or online at ticketmaster.ca.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 6, 2005
- Canucks re-assign pair to Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins top Bulldogs, 3-1 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Phantoms make a point - Adirondack Phantoms
- Houston trio does it again - Houston Aeros
- Barons Win Third Straight - Cleveland Barons
- Admirals Edge Monsters in Shootout, 3-2 - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Earn First Home Win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs drop 3-1 decision to Griffins - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals slay Lock Monsters in shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- Moose back for Family Day rematch - Houston Aeros
- Falcons Host Wolf Pack Today - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.