Buddy's Book Club Back for Another Summer
ST. JOHN'S, NL. - The St. John's IceCaps launched the fourth annual Buddy's Book Club -Presented by Statoil, today at St. Mary's Elementary School in St. John's.
A program to promote summertime reading among elementary students in the province, Buddy's Book Club members are encouraged to read 20 minutes daily during their school vacation period. By doing so, each child will accumulate 20 hours of reading during the summer.
"The St. John's IceCaps are proud to join with Statoil once again for this rewarding initiative which has become a summertime tradition," said IceCaps President and CEO Danny Williams. "Reading comprehension is the foundation for all learning. This program helps children hone these skills over the summer just like our players work on their hockey skills in the off-season."
Buddy's Book Club enables students and their parents to download a reading tracking sheet from the IceCaps website to follow their progress. Participants will be eligible for various prize packages through the hockey club.
Statoil is serving as sponsor of Buddy's Book Club for the fourth year in a row and are essential to the success of the program.
"Statoil believes strongly in supporting our province's Heroes of Tomorrow," said Gisle Stjern, Vice President, Offshore Newfoundland, Statoil Canada. "Buddy's Book Club is a fantastic opportunity to help children develop an early love of reading and learning, which will help them achieve success later in life as well."
Radio host Bill Hart from Coast 101.1 - Buddy's Book Club media sponsor - was also on hand for the festivities.
Participants can register through www.stjohnsicecaps.com and be eligible for numerous prizes, to be announced at a later date.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 20, 2015
- Barons Season Ends with 1-0 Loss - Oklahoma City Barons
- Markstrom's Game 7 Shutout Launches Comets to the Finals - Utica Comets
- Comets vs. Griffins in Conference Finals - Utica Comets
- Conference Finals Schedules Set for 2015 Calder Cup Playoffs - AHL
- Griffins and Utica to Square off in Conference Finals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Griffins Re-Sign Zengerle to One-Year Contract - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals 15-16 Opener Set for October 16, Foreigner Returns October 24 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Buddy's Book Club Back for Another Summer - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.