Broncos Bested by Hurricanes in Front of Boisterous Crowd
Swift Current, Sask. - It was a near sellout crowd at the InnovationPlex, but the Swift Current Broncos fell to the Lethbridge Hurricanes 5-2 to fall to 0-2-0-0 on the 2023/2024 season.
The Hunter Brothers serenaded the crowd with a sintilating rendition of O' Canada, and the energy in the arena was high. Swift Current outshot the Hurricanes 9-7 in the first period and had a few Grade A scoring chances, but Harrison Meneghin stood tall in the Lethbridge net.
"I liked our start," said Assistant Coach Taras McEwen. "I just thought there was a lot of energy in the building. It was a great turnout by the fans, they brought a lot of energy and our players felt that."
However, just 24 seconds into the second period, Logan Wormald got the Hurricanes on the board and Tyson Zimmer would make it 2-0 before four minutes had elapsed in the frame.
Van Eger's first career WHL goal would get the Broncos back to within one, but only momentarily as Trae Wilkie would restore Lethbridge's two goal lead. Connor Gabriel got Swift Current back to within a goal and it seemed like the momentum was all on the Broncos side, but they couldn't tie the game.
McEwen said they need to find a way to respond when a goal is scored against or to keep the pedal down when they score.
"Our guys have had the right mindset," McEwen said. "It's just some of our puck plays. A lot of the goals they got is just from us not managing the puck, our backend not managing the puck well enough."
Brayden Edwards scored twice to make it 5-2 and sink the Broncos.
Joey Rocha stopped 25 of 29 in the loss.
Swift Current is back in action on Friday night when they host the Calgary Hitmen.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 24, 2023
- Raiders Fall 4-2 to Blades for First Loss of the Season - Prince Albert Raiders
- DeSouza Assigned to Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Chiefs Travel to Everett for First 2023-24 Match-Up against Silvertips - Spokane Chiefs
- Silvertips Erupt for 5-3 Win on Opening Night - Everett Silvertips
- Wheat Kings' Offense Rolls from Start to Finish in Moose Jaw - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Warriors Stumble Against Brandon In Saturday's Home Opener - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Rockets Fall In Overtime - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Fall 6-4 to Americans, Split Opening Weekend - Prince George Cougars
- Nguyen's OT Heroics Lift Hawks to 6-5 Win in Kelowna - Portland Winterhawks
- Nguyen Nets OT Winner as Hawks Top Rockets 6-5 - Portland Winterhawks
- See-Saw Saturday Showdown Goes to Seattle on Last-Minute Marker, 3-2 - Wenatchee Wild
- Broncos Bested by Hurricanes in Front of Boisterous Crowd - Swift Current Broncos
- Keller Cashes in on Powerplay, Blades Drop Season Opener 5-1 - Saskatoon Blades
- Pats Take Home Opener Behind Barnett's Two Goals - Regina Pats
- Oil Kings Edged by Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Hitmen Fall to Tigers 5-3 - Calgary Hitmen
- Tigers Sweep Weekend Series with Hitmen - Medicine Hat Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.