Boston Blazers to Host NLL Entry Draft at TD Banknorth Garden
Boston (August 5, 2008) - The National Lacrosse League (NLL) announced that the Boston Blazers and TD Banknorth Garden will host the 2008 NLL entry draft and combine scheduled for Sept. 6-7, 2008. In conjunction with the NLL combine, the Boston Blazers will stage "Blazers Day," an indoor-outdoor fan festival, on Saturday, Sept. 6th. The NLL draft will be conducted by the league, beginning at 11 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 7th.
"Hosting the NLL entry draft and combine along with 'Blazers Day' is a great opportunity for our franchise as we prepare for the upcoming season," said Blazers head coach and general manager Tom Ryan. "The event will be the perfect showcase to introduce the Blazers and our tenacious brand of indoor lacrosse to the growing number of lacrosse fans in New England."
The expansion Blazers currently hold the rights to the first overall pick in the entry draft which will consist of six rounds for each of the 13 teams in the league to make their selections. A total of 76 players will be selected in the draft, which features the best young talent from NCAA lacrosse programs as well as Canada's junior lacrosse system. The NLL will have 40 of the top indoor lacrosse prospects in the world participate in the combine.
"With the world's greatest lacrosse players coming to Boston this January, we decided it was the right time to host the draft at TD Banknorth Garden," said NLL Commissioner Jim Jennings. "Fans will get a preview of NLL lacrosse while seeing 40 of the top future stars of the game."
"TD Banknorth Garden is proud to host the NLL Draft as a kick-off to what will be a great season for the Boston Blazers," said John Wentzell, President of Delaware North Companies - Boston and TD Banknorth Garden.
"Our full schedule of 'Blazers Day' activities will offer New England lacrosse fans the opportunity to watch some of the best athletes in the world play action- packed lacrosse while they choose their ticket packages and 'test-drive' their exact seat locations," said Blazers President Doug Reffue. "We are planning a full day of lacrosse and entertainment and we want to involve the local New England lacrosse community as we build our franchise."
The schedule for the Sept. 6th "Blazers Day" will include:
* 9 a.m.-9 p.m. - TD Banknorth Garden open to fans for all activities, including Blazers season tickets seat selection and purchases * 9 a.m.-11 a.m. - NLL Combine - Skills and Drills * 9 a.m.- 3 p.m. - "Blazers Day" outdoor festival at TD Banknorth Garden * 11 a.m. - Noon - Be the first to be "On the lacrosse turf" at TD Banknorth Garden. Fans can take part in a picture and autograph session with Blazers personnel * 2 p.m.- 3 p.m. - Youth League Exhibition Game * 3 p.m. - 6 p.m. - Blazers Dance team and Team Mascot sign-up and auditions, etc. * 7 p.m. - NLL Combine - All-Star game
Admission to TD Banknorth Garden on the Sept. 6th Blazers Day is free of charge. The Sunday NLL entry draft is by advance invitation only. Fans can follow the results of the draft and get further information on the event at (www.NLL.com).
The Blazers begin their indoor professional lacrosse league season in January, 2009. The team will play eight home games at the TD Banknorth Garden as part of their 16-game NLL regular season schedule. The Blazers' 2009 schedule will be announced by the NLL in the near future.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from August 5, 2008
- Boston Blazers to Host NLL Entry Draft at TD Banknorth Garden - Boston Blazers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals