Boston Blazers Beat Rochester 10-5
Boston (April 11, 2009) - The Boston Blazers were victorious on Saturday night, defeating their division rivals, the Rochester Nighthawks 10-5 at the TD Banknorth Garden. Boston's win tonight, combined with the New York Titans' win against the Buffalo Bandits, leaves the two teams tied for second place (10-5) in the National Lacrosse League's Eastern Division heading into the final week of the regular season. Blazers forward Brenden Thenhaus scored a season- high four goals to lead the team.
The score was 1-1 with less than one minute left in the first quarter when the Blazers put three points on the board with 56 seconds remaining, to take a 4-1 lead. The Knighthawks battled back, scoring two goals in the second quarter, leaving the score 5-3 at the half.
Rochester started off the third quarter with a goal by Craig Point to close to 5-4 until two scuffles broke out and a fight between the Blazers' Jon "Bubba" Durno and the Knighthawks' Kyle Raverty changed the pace of the game. The 8,079 fans, the second largest crowd of the season, cheered as the Blazers scored five unanswered goals to put the contest out of reach with a 10-5 lead. The Knighthawks attempted a comeback and scored one goal with 4:50 left in the game, but it was not enough as the Blazers took home the win.
Blazers forward Dan Dawson scored two goals and three assists and Daryl Veltman tallied two goals and four assists. Goalie Anthony Cosmo had another strong showing, saving 37 out of 42 shots on goal.
The Knighthawks were led by Jason Henhawk who scored two goals. Goaltenders Pat O'Toole saved 33 out of 42 shots and Ben VanEvery stopped two of three shots to end the game. With the loss, the Knighthawks dropped to 6-9 on the season.
The Blazers play their final regular season game against Buffalo on Saturday, April 18 at the HSBC Arena in Buffalo, NY.
The Blazers, a first year expansion team, will make its first playoff appearance the week of weekend of Friday, May 2. The playoff seedings are to be determined.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from April 11, 2009
- Stealth steal one from Mammoth in OT - Colorado Mammoth
- Roughnecks snag Western Division with win over Rush - Calgary Roughnecks
- Boston Blazers Beat Rochester 10-5 - Boston Blazers
- Swarm Defeated By Portland 19-14 - Minnesota Swarm
- Jax Clinch Home Playoff Game; Win 19-14 - Portland Lumberjax
- Wings Rock Toronto in Final Regular Season Home Game - Philadelphia Wings
- Rock out of playoff hunt for 2009 season - Toronto Rock
- Jax Playoff Bound With 11-9 Win - Portland Lumberjax
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals