Boston Blazers Acquire Former UMass All-American Jack Reid
BOSTON (July 29, 2008) -- The Boston Blazers have acquired former University of Massachusetts defenseman Jack Reid from the Rochester Knighthawks in exchange for defenseman Kyle Laverty, Blazers head coach and GM Tom Ryan announced today.
Reid played 16 games during the past two seasons in the National Lacrosse League for Rochester and recorded four assists last year. He played four years of college lacrosse at UMass where he became the school's first (1st Team) defenseman All-American player. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound defenseman played 63 games for UMass from 2003-2006 and has since become a top professional indoor lacrosse prospect. Reid, who hails from Glastonbury, CT, is currently playing in the MLL for the Rochester Rattlers.
"Jack is one of the most promising defenders in the league," said Ryan. "He is a dominant force in the MLL and is still learning the indoor game. He is a local product who grew up in Connecticut and played college lacrosse at UMass, so he is a perfect fit for us."
Laverty was on the Blazers roster for less than a week after being selected as the fourth overall pick in the July 24 NLL expansion draft.
The Blazers will play eight home games as part of the NLL's 16-game regular season schedule from January through April 2009 at the TD Banknorth Garden. Fans can purchase tickets by calling 1-888-BLAZERS or by logging onto www.blazerslacrosse.com.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from July 29, 2008
- Boston Blazers Acquire Former UMass All-American Jack Reid - Boston Blazers
- Knighthawks Trade Defenseman Jack Reid To Boston Blazers - Rochester Knighthawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals