Biscuits Push Past Lookouts, 5-2
CHATTANOOGA, Ten. - The Biscuits (50-43) won their second-straight game over the Chattanooga Lookouts (42-50) on Saturday night, taking down their North Division rivals by a score of 5-2. With Birmingham's win against Tennessee earlier in the night, Montgomery now finds themselves in a three-way tie for first place in the Second Half North Division with the Barons and Smokies.
Benton Moss (2-3) was making his first start at AT&T Field since the decisive fifth game of the 2017 North Division Series, and the right-hander looked sharp early, retiring the first five batters he faced. His counterpart Omar Bencomo (5-4) faced the minimum in the first inning, but then allowed a lead-off double to Brett Sullivan in the second. The next batter was Dalton Kelly, and the Biscuits left fielder ripped an RBI-double over the right fielder Jaylin Davis' head to put Montgomery up 1-0.
In the bottom of the second, Mitchell Kranson would tag Moss for a solo home run over the low wall in right-center field to tie the game at one. Then in the third, Nick Solak, who had already homered against Bencomo earlier this season, crushed another one-this one a two-run shot-over the left-center field wall to put the Biscuits up for good at 3-1.
A Moss wild pitch brought the Lookouts within one at 3-2 in the fourth, but a Nathan Lukes RBI-single in the fifth gave the Biscuits their two-run lead back, before a Peter Maris RBI-double in the ninth provided some insurance. Moss finished the game going six strong innings, surrendering just the two runs on six hits with no walks and four strikeouts in his second victory of the season. Curtis Taylor was superb out of the bullpen pitching his way to a three-inning save, allowing no runs and only one hit with a walk and five strikeouts.
The Biscuits will try to make it three in a row and win the series against Chattanooga on Sunday afternoon when Brandon Lawson (2-1) takes on Sean Poppen (2-5) at 1:15 PM CT.
Once the Biscuits conclude their current nine-game road trip, the team will return to Riverwalk Stadium to open up a five-game series with the Mississippi Braves on Wednesday, July 18 when there will be a Bucket Hat Giveaway. The series will also include Outdoors Night featuring a Hunter Camo T-Shirt Giveaway on Thursday, July 19, First Responders Night & MAX Fireworks on Friday, July 20, Millennial Night featuring a Participation Ribbon Giveaway & MAX Fireworks on Saturday, July 21, and then a Mascot Poster Giveaway on Sunday, July 22.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 14, 2018
- Kranson HR Is Bright Spot in 5-2 Loss - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Smokies One-Hit by Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- Diaz Homers, Drives in Four, Shrimp Beat Shuckers, 7-4 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- M-Braves Defeat Blue Wahoos 2-1 in Extra-Innings Walk-Off Fashion - Mississippi Braves
- BayBears Keep Game Close Early, Generals Add Late Homers - Mobile BayBears
- Payamps Pushes Generals to Series Win - Jackson Generals
- Biscuits Push Past Lookouts, 5-2 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Wahoos Drop Second Straight in Extras, 2-1 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Early Runs Too Much for Shuckers in Jacksonville - Biloxi Shuckers
- Barons One-Hit Smokies - Birmingham Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.