Birmingham Iron Week 5 Game Preview: vs Orlando Apollos
STRIKE THE ANVIL ...
- The Birmingham Iron and Orlando Apollos of the Alliance of American Football League will face off on Saturday, March 9 at Legion Field for the Iron's third home game of the season. The game will be televised on TNT with Mark Malone and Shaun O'Hara on the call.
- The first snap is slated for 1:05 PM CT.
- The Iron is currently 3-1, ranking second in the Eastern Conference.
FORGED IN FIRE ...
- RB Trent Richardson leads the Alliance with seven rushing touchdowns through Week 4. He found the end zone three times against Atlanta on Feb. 24, becoming the first running back in the Alliance to record three rushing touchdowns in a single game.
- WR Quinton Patton has pulled in 13 receptions on the season for 226 yards (17.38 avg), which ranks tied for third among all wide receivers in the Alliance.
- QB Luis Perez currently ranks second among Alliance quarterbacks with 798 passing yards and has recorded a completion percentage of 56.0%.
- P Colton Schmidt currently leads the Alliance with 12 punts inside the 20. He is third-best with a 40.7 punting average.
IRON CURTAIN ...
- TAKEAWAYS: Through four games, the Iron ranks second in the Alliance after forcing nine turnovers, including five interceptions ( DBs Jamar Summers (2), Jack Tocho, Max Redfield, LB Xzavier Dickson) and four fumble recoveries, one of which was returned for a touchdown.
- LOADED LINEBACKERS LB Beniquez Brown has recorded 38 total tackles through the first four games, which ranks second among all defenders in the Alliance. Brown has also added 2.0 sacks, one fumble recovery, one TFL and forced a fumble.
LB Jonathan Massaquoi is currently tied for fourth-most among all linebackers in the Alliance with with 2.0 sacks.
LB Shaheed Salmon recovered a fumble in the end zone for a touchdown in the Week 2 matchup against Salt Lake.
LB Xzavier Dickson picked off Express QB Brandon Silvers in Week 1 becoming one of only five linebackers in the Alliance to record an interception through Week 3.
- SACKS: The Iron has totaled 8.0 sacks through four games.
LB Jonathan Massaquoi and LB Beniquez Brown are currently tied for fourth-most among all linebackers in the Alliance with with 2.0 sacks.
DE Jeremy Faulk is currently ranked tied for ninth among all defenders in the Alliance with with 2.0 sacks.
LB Jonathan Massaquoi : 2.0 (vs. MEM on 2.9.19)
LB Beniquez Brown : 2.0 (vs. SLC on 2.16.19, vs. SA on 3.3.19)
DE Jeremy Faulk : 2.0 (vs. SLC on 2.16.19, vs. ATL on 2.24.19)
DE Casey Sayles : 1.0 (vs. ATL on 2.24.19)
LB Devin Taylor : 1.0 (vs. ATL on 2.24.19)
- MONEY DOWNS: The Iron defense leads the Alliance through four games 3rd and 4th down efficiency holding its opponents to 27.6% on 16 conversion of 58 attempts. - Through four games, the Iron defense has held its opponents to 33 points, which marks the fewest in the league and has held its opponents to an average of 265 yards per game, which leads the Alliance.
- NO FLY ZONE: The Iron secondary has only allowed an average of 150.5 passing yards per game, which leads the Alliance.
IRON FIRSTS ...
- AAF SHUTOUT: The Iron defense posted the only shutout in the first week of the Alliance of American Football's inaugural season in its 26-0 victory over Memphis on Feb. 10.
- The Iron defense held the Express to 16% on 3rd & 4th down conversions, which ranked as the lowest mark in the Alliance. Birmingham also held Memphis to 202 total offensive yards, the lowest mark in the Alliance after Week 1. LB Jonathan Massaquoi picked up 2.0 sacks for 10 yards, 3 TFLs and 3 QBHs. DB Jamar Summers and LB Xzavier Dickson both recorded an interception. LB Shaheed Salmon became the first defender to score the Iron's first special teams touchdown after recovering a fumble in the end zone for a touchdown in the Week 2 matchup against Salt Lake.
- NICK'S KICKS: K Nick Novak went 4-for-4 on field goals against Memphis with a long of 47 and scored the first points in Iron history.
- TOUCHDOWN TRENT: RB Trent Richardson scored the first touchdown in Iron history and rushed for 58 yards and two touchdowns in his Iron debut, leading the Alliance in rushing touchdowns after Week 1.
He became the first player in the Alliance history to score three rushing touchdowns in a single game on Feb. 24 against Atlanta.
- PATTON THE PLAYMAKER: WR Quinton Patton shined in his Iron debut, hauling in four receptions for 107 yards (26.8 average). Patton's 107 yards led all wide receivers in the Alliance of American Football's inaugural weekend.
WR Quinton Patton has pulled in 13 receptions on the season for 226 yards (17.38 avg), which ranks tied for third among all wide receivers in the Alliance.
• Discuss this story on the Alliance of American Football message board...
Alliance of American Football Stories from March 5, 2019
- Birmingham Iron Week 5 Game Preview: vs Orlando Apollos - Birmingham Iron
- San Antonio Commanders Travel to Arizona Hotshots on Sunday, March 10 - San Antonio Commanders
- Alliance of American Football Names Week Four Players of the Week - AAF
- Memphis Express LB Drew Jackson, K Austin MacGinnis Earn Weekly Awards - Memphis Express
- San Antonio Commanders' Kenneth Farrow II Named Alliance of American Football Offensive Player of the Week - San Antonio Commanders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Iron Stories
- Birmingham Iron Issues Official Statement
- Big Plays Earn Three Standouts Week 6 AAF Player of the Week Honors
- Week 6 Postgame Notes & Quotes
- Steve Spurrier's Orlando Apollos Lead Alliance at Halfway Mark
- Birmingham Iron Partner with Greater Birmingham Habitat for Humanity