Bats Lead Way in 8-5 Win
(Clinton, IA) - The Burlington Bees (12-24) snapped a six-game losing streak, beating the Clinton LumberKings (15-23) 8-5 on Thursday night at Ashford University Field.
The Bees batted nine times in the first inning, grabbing the lead. Jahmai Jones started the game with a double to left and then moved to third on a sacrifice bunt from Jordan Zimmerman. Brennon Lund gave the Bees the lead, driving in Jones with a triple. Brennan Morgan made it a 2-0 lead with a double to left. John Schuknecht picked up his first RBI of the season, dropping a single into right, scoring Morgan. Sam McDonnell capped off the inning with a two-run double, extending the Bees' lead to 5-0.
Schuknecht walked with two outs in the third inning and then scored on a Roberto Baldoquin double, making the score 6-0 in favor of the Bees.
After Clinton scored a run in the bottom of the third inning, the Bees added to their lead in the fourth. Jahmai Jones started the frame with a triple and then scored on a triple from Jordan Zimmerman. Brennon Lund made it three straight triples, driving in Zimmerman and extending the Bees' lead to 8-1.
The Bees would have to hang on as Clinton went on to score one in the fifth and another in the sixth inning, before Luis Liberato belted a two-run homer in the ninth, but the Bees would hang on for the 8-5 win.
Bees' starting pitcher Nate Bertness (2-3) struck out a season-high eight batters, earning the win. Danny Garcia (2-4) was charged with the loss. The Bees and the LumberKings continue the series on Friday night at 6:30 p.m. as Sam Pastrone makes the start for the Bees against Brandon Miller for the LumberKings.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 19, 2017
- KERNELS RECAP (): Timber Rattlers Top Kernels to Even Series - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps ReCap: Midwest League Curfew Rule Suspends Series Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bats Lead Way in 8-5 Win - Burlington Bees
- FINAL Peoria 4 Beloit 1 (15 Innings) - Three-Run Blast in the 15th - Beloit Snappers
- - Clinton LumberKings
- KERNELS RECAP (5/18/17): Davis Homers Twice Thursday at Wisconsin - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers vs. Cedar Rapids Kernels: May 18, 2017 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Murphy Gem Helps Lugs Capture 1500th Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Score in 9th for Walk-Off Win - Dayton Dragons
- Bandits Out-Dueled in Kane County Thursday Night - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.