Bandits Out-Dueled in Kane County Thursday Night
GENEVA, Ill. -- The Quad Cities River Bandits fell 1-0 to the Kane County Cougars Thursday night at Northwestern Medicine Field, snapping a three-game winning streak. *Forrest Whitley *tossed five scoreless innings, allowing just one hit and a walk while striking out six. *Cody Reed* hurled a complete-game shutout for the Cougars to spoil the great performance by Whitley.
The River Bandits (19-19) and Cougars (24-16) each had three hits in the game. It's the fourth straight loss for Quad Cities that the team has not been outhit by their opponent. Whitley didn't allow a hit until the fifth, when a ground ball scooted into left field to lead off the inning. Whitley used just 69 pitches to get through his scheduled five innings of work. *Carlos Sanabria* (0-1) made his Midwest League debut on the back-half of the tandem rotation and allowed one run on two hits to suffer the loss. Kane County scored in the seventh when *Marcus Wilson* led off with a triple then scored on a double by *Mark Karaviotis* for what proved to be the game winner.
Reed (3-1) struck out nine River Bandits, striking out *Stephen Wrenn *four times, including the final out of the game. He allowed three hits and one walk, tossing the first complete game against Quad Cities this season. It is the fourth time this season Quad Cities has been shut out.
*Yordan Alvarez* had the first hit of the game, extending his hitting streak to three games in his four contests in the Midwest League. *Chuckie Robinson* did not collect a hit Thursday, snapping a six-game hitting streak. *Marcos Almonte* and *Rodrigo Ayarza* had the other two Quad Cities hits.
The Bandits look to even the series Friday night behind RHP *Enoli Paredes* (0-2, 3.00) as they take on *Jon Duplantier* (3-0, 0.74) for the Cougars. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m. CT and you can join *Jake Levy* for the live radio broadcast, beginning with the Hampton Inn On-Deck Show at 6:15 on 1170 AM K-BOB, riverbandits.com and the TuneIn app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 19, 2017
- KERNELS RECAP (): Timber Rattlers Top Kernels to Even Series - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps ReCap: Midwest League Curfew Rule Suspends Series Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bats Lead Way in 8-5 Win - Burlington Bees
- FINAL Peoria 4 Beloit 1 (15 Innings) - Three-Run Blast in the 15th - Beloit Snappers
- - Clinton LumberKings
- KERNELS RECAP (5/18/17): Davis Homers Twice Thursday at Wisconsin - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers vs. Cedar Rapids Kernels: May 18, 2017 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Murphy Gem Helps Lugs Capture 1500th Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Score in 9th for Walk-Off Win - Dayton Dragons
- Bandits Out-Dueled in Kane County Thursday Night - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.