Austin Spurs to Host Black History Night on February 20
AUSTIN, Texas - The Austin Spurs, presented by SWBC, today announced that the team will host Black History Night in honor of Black History Month on Thursday, Feb. 20 at the H-E-B Center at Cedar Park when the Spurs take on the South Bay Lakers at 7:30 p.m.
Former San Antonio Spurs player and current Austin resident James Silas will attend the game and be available for photos with fans pregame from 6:30-7 p.m. On Feb. 28, 1984, Silas' No. 13 became the first number ever retired by the Spurs. In his career, Silas appeared in 618 games, scoring 10,290 points and dishing out 2,406 assists. Silas, who was an original Spur, had his best season in 1975-76 when he averaged 23.8 points, 5.4 assists and 4.0 rebounds.
During the game, the team will highlight prominent figures in black history.
Throughout February, the NBA family will celebrate black history and culture, support the national dialogue on race and equality, and bring teams, players and fans together to take collective action in our communities. For decades, the NBA family has used the game of basketball to bridge divides in our communities and demonstrate the importance of values like equality, diversity, inclusion, respect and teamwork.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 17, 2020
- Austin Spurs to Host Black History Night on February 20 - Austin Spurs
- New Orleans Pelicans Mardi Gras Night Saturday, February 22 - Erie BayHawks
- Fort Wayne Mad Ants Finalize 2019-20 Basketball Operations And Front Office Personnel - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Trail Blazers Transfer Moses Brown and Jaylen Hoard to Texas Legends - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Spurs Stories
- Statement from SS&E CEO RC Buford
- Austin Spurs Fall to South Bay Lakers
- Austin Spurs Defeat Oklahoma City Blue 117-114
- Austin Spurs Come Back to Defeat Northern Arizona Suns 117-114 in Overtime
- Austin Spurs to Host Go Texas Night and Hoops N Hounds Games this Weekend