Austin Bold Claims Copa Tejas Title at Home in Win over RGV FC
AUSTIN, Texas - Rio Grande Valley FC (7-12-7, 28 pts.) fell to Austin Bold FC (11-9-6, 39 pts.) in a road match on Saturday night at Bold Stadium. The relentless attack from the Bold proved to be too much for the Toros as they fell 0-3.
RGV was able to create some plays up front in the attacking third early on. Ronaldo Peña, who is on loan from the Houston Dynamo, sent a ball to the center of the goal at the 5th minute of play, which was deflected to corner.
The scoreless draw continued nearing the thirty-minute mark. The first chance at goal for Austin came on a set piece in the 29th minute after the Toros conceded a free kick. Fortunately, the ball hit the wall and deflected to corner, which then resulted in no danger on the ensuing corner kick.
A cross to the center of the box from the feet of Thomas de Villardi ended up in the back of the net after Ema Twumasi shot a clean ball to the left side of the goal, giving Austin Bold the 0-1 lead at the 33rd minute.
In the 43rd minute, Sean McFarlane made a run down the right side of the pitch and cut inside to create danger, but Nico Corti saved the shot after closing in on the Bold attacker.
Shortly after, in the 44th minute, Twumasi broke free and sprinted toward the center of the box but was met outside the box by a sliding Corti, who was then called for a hand ball, which resulted in a foul being called and a direct red card to Corti.
RGV FC was left with 10-men for the match due to the red card to Corti. Ben Willis entered the match at goalkeeper, Peña's night was over as he was subbed out in the 46th minute.
Kleber took the shot from free kick in the 47th minute but the new goalkeeper for the Toros, Willis, made a spectacular diving save. The shot was well placed to the upper right corner of the goal.
The Bold took the 0-1 lead into the locker room, placing three of their five total shots on target. RGV FC managed to tally five shots, and four corners to keep the home team busy throughout the first half.
Andre Lima struck at the 60th minute to grow the lead for the Bold, 0-2. He tapped in a lob pass to the right bottom corner of the goal, beating a diving Willis.
Isidro Martinez took a free kick opportunity from just outside the box at the 73rd minute but his shot was deflected by his own teammate, Carlos Small who was making a run inside the box, ending the chance at scoring for the Toros.
On a corner kick play in the 87th minute, Isaac Promise scored the third goal of the match for the Bold, 0-3, by heading in the ball to the left edge of the goal. The goal gave the home crowd plenty to cheer for as Austin locked in the Copa Tejas win.
RGV FC battled hard but the stronghold of the Austin Bold offense made the difference tonight. The Toros totaled 10 shots, only one on goal tonight, while 11 shots on target out of the 19 total for the Bold were key.
Next for RGV FC is a home matchup against Tulsa Roughnecks FC on September 7. Kickoff will be at 7:30 p.m. CT. The match will be available on ESPN+ and updates on the match will be provided via Twitter at @RGVFC or by following #SomosToros. To see more matchday information, visit www.rgvfc.com.
Scoring Summary: RGV FC -
AUS - Twumasi 33' (Assist by de Villardi), Lima 60', Promise 87'
Misconduct Summary: RGV FC - Corti 44' RC, Enriquez 57' YC, Fuenmayor 77' YC, Coronado 85' YC
AUS - Taylor 55' YC, Promise 72' YC
AUS - Restrepo, Taylor, Braafheid, McFarlane, Okugo, Twusami (Promise 68'), de Villardi (Saramutin 76'), Baez, Tyrpak (Acosta 82'), Kleber, Lima
Subs: Farias, Ramirez, Woodberry, Phillips
Stats: Shots: 19, Shots on Goal: 11, Saves: 1 , Fouls: 13 , Corner Kicks: 5, Offsides: 1.
RGV FC - Corti, Samuels, Fuenmayor, Castellanos, Coronado, Bird, Martinez, Rodriguez (Beckford), Enriquez, Salazar (Small 66'), Peña (Willis 46')
Subs:Donovan, Jackson, Hernandez, Arcila
Stats: Shots: 10 , Shots on Goal: 1, Saves: 8, Fouls: 15, Corner Kicks: 6 , Offsides: 0.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 1, 2019
- STLFC Holds off Hartford Athletic for 3-2 Win - Saint Louis FC
- Hartford Falls to Saint Louis FC on the Road 3-2 - Hartford Athletic
- Austin Bold Claims Copa Tejas Title at Home in Win over RGV FC - Austin Bold FC
- Preview: Athletic Visit Saint Louis Eyeing Season Sweep - Hartford Athletic
- Michee Ngalina bags his fifth goal of the season en route to a 2-0 shutout victory - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Memphis 901 FC's Match at Charleston Battery Postponed - Memphis 901 FC
- New Mexico Bettered by Orange County SC - New Mexico United
- Charleston, Memphis Match Postponed - Charleston Battery
- Moloto Scores Goal to Earn Budweiser Man of the Match Honors - Nashville SC
- North Carolina FC Trio Set for International Duty with Respective National Teams - North Carolina FC
- Memphis 901 FC Wraps up Long Road Trip Tomorrow at Charleston Battery - Memphis 901 FC
- T2 Earn 3-1 Road Victory against Reno 1868 FC Saturday - Portland Timbers 2
- Reno Falls 2-1 to Portland Timbers 2 - Reno 1868 FC
- Republic FC Fall 1-0 to LA Galaxy II - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bold FC Stories
- Austin Bold FC Hosts "Fan Appreciation Night" September 22
- Austin Bold Hosts First Responders Night 9/11
- Austin Bold Claims Copa Tejas Title at Home in Win over RGV FC
- Austin Bold Adds Midfielder George Acosta to Roster
- Austin Bold FC Receives Defender Gustavo Rissi