Amherst Native Emma Ruggiero Signs with Beauts
Buffalo State's captain and leading scorer and Amherst, NY native Emma Ruggiero has signed with her hometown Buffalo Beauts for the 2019-20 season.
"I wasn't going to let an opportunity like this pass," said Ruggiero, who opened the eyes of the Beauts' hockey operations staff at a free agent camp. "I'm really excited to share this journey with other players that share the same passion."
Last season, Ruggiero led the NCAA Division III Bengals with 24 points (14-10-24) and was named a Second-Team All-NEWHL selection. She finished her collegiate career with 52 points in 100 games. Ruggiero has spent her entire life in the Buffalo hockey scene, playing with the Buffalo Regals before college.
"Emma is a feisty player who will lead by example, as she has done at the college level," said Beauts general manager Mandy Cronin.
In addition to playing for the Beauts, Ruggiero will also be helping to coach the Kenmore High School girls' hockey team.
"I was worried that after graduating and being in the hockey world all my life, that was it," she said. "But now I'm coaching and playing, and I really couldn't be happier."
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Hockey League message board...
National Women's Hockey League Stories from August 7, 2019
- Amherst Native Emma Ruggiero Signs with Beauts - Buffalo Beauts
- Keeping the Core Together, Whale Re-Sign Hughson - Connecticut Whale
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Beauts Stories
- Fulfilling "Dream Come True," Team Slovakia's Lenka Curmova Signs NWHL Contract to Play for Buffalo
- Slovakia National Team Star Iveta Klimasova Joins Buffalo Beauts for 2019-20 Season
- America, the Beaut-iful: Ashley Birdsall Signs with Buffalo
- Hello, Neumann: Kelsey's Back in Buffalo
- Amherst Native Emma Ruggiero Signs with Beauts