Americans Edge Silvertips in Shootout
EVERETT - Logan Aasman's tying goal in the third period helped the Everett Silvertips gain one point, but the Tri-City Americans snuck out of Comcast Arena with a 2-1 shootout victory on Friday night. The Silvertips will now face Kamloops in each of their next two games, hosting the Blazers Saturday night at home before heading to Kamloops on Thursday.
Aasman's second WHL goal in his 12th career game brought Everett even in the third period off assists from Landon Oslanski and Manraj Hayer. Daniel Cotton (9-11-0-1) was awarded first star for his efforts in net, turning away 24 of 25 shots through regulation and overtime.
Tri-City opened the scoring on the game's first shift, taking an early lead when Malte Stromwall received a pass from Justin Feser and rifled a shot over Daniel Cotton's shoulder at 23 seconds of the opening period. Everett generated some energy after a fight between Michael Zipp and Justin Gutierrez, but the score remained 1-0 after one. Luke Lee-Knight stood his ground in the second period, turning aside 11 shots as the 'Tips outshot the Americans 11-7, to keep Tri-City ahead through 40 minutes.
Everett evened the score at 4:25 of the third when Aasman tipped in a blue line wrist shot from Landon Oslanski for his second goal of the season. Daniel Cotton came up big for the Silvertips on a penalty kill midway through the period, stopping an onslaught of shots to keep the game tied. The Americans outshot the 'Tips 10-4 in the third before time expired.
Overtime play wouldn't solve anything so the victor had to be decided in a shootout. After Justin Feser gave Tri-City the lead in round one of the shootout, Logan Aasman made a great move to beat Lee-Knight, but the goal was disallowed after video review determined it didn't fully cross the goal line. Stromwall then sealed the Americans' win with a shot that snuck through Cotton's pads and over the line in round two.
Luke Lee-Knight (9-5-0-0) stopped 21 of 22 shots in net for Tri-City. The Silvertips denied the Americans on all four of their powerplay opportunities, but couldn't capitalize on six powerplays of their own.
The 'Tips are back at Comcast Arena again Saturday night for their third consecutive home game as the Kamloops Blazers visit downtown Everett for the second time this season at 7:05 pm. Everett is looking for its first win against the Blazers this year after coming up just short in a shootout and in overtime during this year's first two meetings.
Mini-game packages, flex packs and single-game tickets for the Silvertips' 10th Anniversary season at Comcast Arena are on sale now. For more information visit www.everettsilvertips.com or call 425-252-5100. To keep up with all the latest 'Tips news, "like" us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 2, 2013
- Pats lose to Brandon - Regina Pats
- Raiders blank Hitmen - Calgary Hitmen
- Pats Edge Wheat Kings - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats at Brandon Gameday Preview - Regina Pats
- Americans Edge Silvertips in Shootout - Everett Silvertips
- Winterhawks Get by T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Stromwall Powers Americans Past Silvertips 2-1 - Tri-City Americans
- Giants Lose 5-1 at Home to the Kelowna Rockets - Vancouver Giants
- Kelowna defeats Vancouver - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett Silvertips Stories
- Silvertips Announce Hart, Bajkov, Davidson, Williams Nominated as Finalists for WHL Awards, Named to League All-Star Teams
- Silvertips Encouraging Local Businesses to Show Playoff Support in Snohomish County with Sign Campaign
- Silvertips Clinch Sixth U.S. Division Title and Top Record in the Western Conference
- Sellout Crowd Sees Tips Win in OT
- Silvertips Recall Goaltender Blake Lyda